Block universe and entropy increase

In summary: What would an increase of entropy have against the block universe?The argument I'm familiar with here is that the distribution of entropy within the block is fundamental, but the direction of time isn't. The perception of which direction time goes is just that - a perception. It follows increasing entropy, because formation of memories involves increasing entropy. As far as the block universe is concerned, it doesn't care about directionality to time - it just is.If you think of time as a sort of spatial coordinate in a 4D space, then the block of wood can be looked upon as being a 4D object that is continuous in the time direction. In this framework, an entropy value can be assigned to the 3D cross
Ebi Rogha
TL;DR Summary
I understand “Block Universe Theory” says past, present and future all exist together and time is emergent (and not fundamental).
I wonder how physicists who support this theory explain the increase of entropy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ebi Rogha said:
Summary:: I understand “Block Universe Theory” says past, present and future all exist together and time is emergent (and not fundamental).

I wonder how physicists who support this theory explain the increase of entropy?
What would an increase of entropy have against the block universe?

On my house I have a block of wood trim that the top is well sheltered from the rain and the bottom is exposed to rain. So it deteriorates on the bottom but the top is pristine. So a block of wood can be nice and neat on one side and all messy on the other side.

Similarly a block of universe can have low entropy on one side and high entropy on the other side. Blocks need not be homogenous.

Dale said:
What would an increase of entropy have against the block universe?

On my house I have a block of wood trim that the top is well sheltered from the rain and the bottom is exposed to rain. So it deteriorates on the bottom but the top is pristine. So a block of wood can be nice and neat on one side and all messy on the other side.

Similarly a block of universe can have low entropy on one side and high entropy on the other side. Blocks need not be
What I mean is the 2nd law of thermodynamics gives a direction to time, it can travel only in one direction. Does not this mean time is fundumental and all states can not exist together?
In other words, the block universe makes no difference between past, present and future, it means time is bidirectional and we should be able to go back in time. Am I missing something?

Ebi Rogha said:
What I mean is the 2nd law of thermodynamics gives a direction to time, it can travel only in one direction. Does not this mean time is fundumental and all states can not exist together?
In other words, the block universe makes no difference between past, present and future, it means time is bidirectional and we should be able to go back in time. Am I missing something?
The argument I'm familiar with here is that the distribution of entropy within the block is fundamental, but the direction of time isn't. The perception of which direction time goes is just that - a perception. It follows increasing entropy, because formation of memories involves increasing entropy. As far as the block universe is concerned, it doesn't care about directionality to time - it just is.

Likes Ebi Rogha
If you think of time as a sort of spatial coordinate in a 4D space, then the block of wood can be looked upon as being a 4D object that is continuous in the time direction. In this framework, an entropy value can be assigned to the 3D cross section of the block at each value of t. This value is increasing monotonically with increasing t.

Likes Ebi Rogha
Ebi Rogha said:
the block universe makes no difference between past, present and future, it means time is bidirectional
That is not a correct inference of what the Block universe means. If I stack a bunch of Legos together then my block of Legos has a definite top and a definite bottom. Being a block in no way implies the symmetry you are asserting.

Ebi Rogha said:
Summary:: I understand “Block Universe Theory” says past, present and future all exist together and time is emergent (and not fundamental).

Imagine a box in which entropy does not change with time, but increases from the left to the right. One would say that entropy increases with ##x##. The ##x## is just a coordinate. Now change the name of this coordinate, i.e. call it ##t##. That's a simple model for a block universe with a time arrow.

Likes Dale

1. What is the block universe theory?

The block universe theory, also known as the "block time" or "eternalism" theory, is a concept in physics and philosophy that suggests that time is a dimension similar to space, and that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously as a static block. This theory challenges the traditional view of time as a linear progression from past to present to future.

2. How does the block universe theory relate to entropy increase?

The block universe theory proposes that the increase of entropy, or disorder, in the universe is a result of the natural flow of time. This means that the increase of entropy is not a result of the universe aging or decaying, but rather a fundamental property of time itself.

3. Can the block universe theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, the block universe theory cannot be definitively proven. However, there is evidence from various fields of study, including physics and philosophy, that supports the idea of a block universe. It is still a topic of ongoing debate and research.

4. How does the block universe theory impact our understanding of free will?

The block universe theory challenges the traditional concept of free will, as it suggests that all events, including human actions, are predetermined and unchangeable. However, some philosophers argue that the theory does not necessarily negate the existence of free will, but rather offers a different perspective on it.

5. Are there any implications of the block universe theory for time travel?

Some interpretations of the block universe theory suggest that time travel may be possible, as all moments in time already exist. However, this is a highly debated topic and there is no scientific evidence to support the possibility of time travel at this time.