Blog Entries - Categories and Deletion

• Complaint
  • Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
In summary, the system is backwards; you should not allow deletion of posts by members as this can disrupt threads, but after a few mistakes they're really going to start cluttering up the blog page. You should allow full deletion of the blog entries.
JaredJames
Not sure if this is a complaint, a sugggestion or a bug. But it's peeved me a bit so I'm sticking it under complaint.

I've noticed you can't fully delete blog entries.

I can select to delete one (and I even asked evo to as well), but no matter which of us do so it still remains in the blogs section. It doesn't count as an entry, but it's still there just saying "deleted by X".

Now I'm curious because I can delete a post in a thread and it's gone without trace (as far as myself and others are concerned), but I can't delete a blog entry? Which originally in my case was completely private so no one else could see anyway.

It seems like the system is backwards. You shouldn't allow deletion of posts by members as this can disrupt threads (obviously mentors etc should be allowed to). If a member chooses delete, it should simply mark the post as deleted (as the blogs do).

You should allow full deletion of the blog entries.

I don't know if other people can still see deleted blog entries (once they've been marked as deleted), but regardless, after a few mistakes they're really going to start cluttering up the blog page.

What is the point in deleting something if it stays there (thread posts aside)?

Now there is a second issue. How do the categories work in blogs?

I can create categories, but cannot for the life of me find how to post into a category. Neither can I move items from the "uncategorised" section into my newly created categories.

This is a minor issue which I am sure has a simple explanation. But none-the-less has perplexed me and I can't work out how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell other users don't see it - probably just you and Mentors. At least Marzena can't see it.

I only see one for you, jared. It was posted today about 90 minutes ago. If that's the one you're trying to delete, then the delete has failed; otherwise, Borek is correct.

Borek said:
As far as I can tell other users don't see it - probably just you and Mentors. At least Marzena can't see it.
lisab said:
I only see one for you, jared. It was posted today about 90 minutes ago. If that's the one you're trying to delete, then the delete has failed; otherwise, Borek is correct.

Not too bad then, at least I can remove any mistakes (there should only be one blog entry showing - the one you see lisa).

Still not liking the fact they remain though. Too many mistakes and I'll have a blog full of deleted items.

Thanks for your replies.

jarednjames said:
Not too bad then, at least I can remove any mistakes (there should only be one blog entry showing - the one you see lisa).

Still not liking the fact they remain though. Too many mistakes and I'll have a blog full of deleted items.

Thanks for your replies.
It's going to cost you $20. I hard deleted the blog entry this time, so it's gone. Originally I had just soft deleted it.

jared said:
Now I'm curious because I can delete a post in a thread and it's gone without trace (as far as myself and others are concerned), but I can't delete a blog entry? Which originally in my case was completely private so no one else could see anyway.
Mentors can see your deleted posts in threads, but you can't. :tongue:

Ah, thanks evo.

$20, in the words of Rik Mayall: "that's not steep, that's effing vertical!".

Still not sure why the system won't let members delete blog entries but will allow posts to be wiped out. Seems a strange setup.

Any ideas on the whole categories thing?

jarednjames said:
Still not sure why the system won't let members delete blog entries but will allow posts to be wiped out. Seems a strange setup.
look up, I added the info on post deletes, they're only invisible to you.

No idea about the categories thing.

Evo said:
look up, I added the info on post deletes, they're only invisible to you.

Cheers

What are blog entry categories and how are they used?

Blog entry categories are a way to organize and group similar blog posts together. They are typically used to help readers navigate a blog and find posts on specific topics. Categories can also be used to improve the SEO of a blog by providing clear and relevant labels for posts.

How do I create categories for my blog entries?

The process of creating categories for your blog entries will vary depending on the blogging platform you are using. However, most platforms will have a section in the settings or dashboard where you can create and manage categories. You can also typically assign categories to your blog posts when drafting or editing them.

Can I delete categories from my blog entries?

Yes, you can delete categories from your blog entries. Again, the process will vary depending on your blogging platform. In most cases, you can go into the category management section and select the option to delete a category. Keep in mind that deleting a category may also remove it from all associated blog posts.

What should I consider when choosing categories for my blog entries?

When choosing categories for your blog entries, it is important to consider your target audience and the topics that your blog covers. You want to make sure that your categories are relevant and easy to understand for your readers. It can also be helpful to do some keyword research to ensure that your categories align with popular search terms in your niche.

Can I add or change categories for existing blog entries?

Yes, you can add or change categories for existing blog entries. Most blogging platforms will allow you to edit the categories of a blog post even after it has been published. This can be helpful if you want to reorganize your categories or add new ones to better reflect the content of your blog.