Blue lights (LEDs) consume more power than red (and green)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy consumption of blue light compared to red light in LEDs. While Planck's formula suggests that blue light would drain a battery quicker due to its higher frequency, the argument only holds true if all LEDs emit the same number of photons per time unit. The conversation also considers the concept of intensity and how it relates to photon density and power consumption. Additionally, the topic of how the human eye responds to different light frequencies is mentioned. Overall, the conversation concludes that, as long as no other light frequencies are emitted, blue and red LEDs should have the same power output over power input ratio.
Metals
Referring to LEDs as I'm not aware of any other "colour-producing" light, does blue light use more energy than red light?

Planck's formula (E=hf) leads me to believe that blue light would drain a battery quicker than red, due to its higher frequency. Surely a device emitting blue light would require more energy (more current), so wouldn't red and green lights which have a lower frequency consume less power than blue, resulting in a slightly longer battery cycle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument would only hold if all LEDs emitted the same number of photons per time unit. They do not.

Likes FactChecker
Alternate way of thinking (engineer's approach): Power = Voltage x Current. If you have a simple circuit that consists of a battery, an LED and a resistor, you can adjust the power output/consumption by changing the value of the resistor. Since LED's have negligible resistances, the power consumption would only depend on the resistor you connect the LED up with. You wouldn't connect an LED straight to battery anyways.
But assuming you connect up the LED so that the consume the same amount of power, and assume an imaginary world where the scale of the frequency difference really matters, then the blue LED would light up at a lower intensity than the red LED. We don't live in that imaginary world though, so no need to avoid blue light to save power.

Orodruin said:
Your argument would only hold if all LEDs emitted the same number of photons per time unit. They do not.

I see. Why is it that LEDs don't do that by the way? Say, with the same power source. And if they did, then blue light would have more power consumption?

Nosebgr said:
But assuming you connect up the LED so that the consume the same amount of power, and assume an imaginary world where the scale of the frequency difference really matters, then the blue LED would light up at a lower intensity than the red LED. We don't live in that imaginary world though, so no need to avoid blue light to save power.

Why would blue be at lower intensity? Surely it would be higher considering it has more energy. So wave frequency is completely irrelevant for colour?

Metals said:
Why is it that LEDs don't do that by the way?
Why would they?

Likes Vanadium 50
Orodruin said:
Why would they?

Exactly. What's wrong with a 5 mW LED needing 5 mW of power?

Metals said:
Why would blue be at lower intensity? Surely it would be higher considering it has more energy. So wave frequency is completely irrelevant for colour?
In hindsight, perhaps I should have phrased it better. When I said "intensity", I meant it purely in terms of the photon density. I shouldn't have said intensity, because by definition it is the power per unit area. If we feed any two LED's the same power, regardless of their colour, the output intensities will be equal. (You get the same as what you put in). So, in terms of the actual definition of intensity, both LED's are the same as long as their input powers are the same.

However, in the same case, the red LED with the longer wavelength will light up brighter, because it has greater photon density than the blue one.

You can think of it as follows: There are two pools of same sizes, and they are both full. You empty one pool using 0.5L bottles, and the other one with 1L bottles. At the end, you will end up with more 0.5L bottles, (therefore a brighter LED) than the 1L bottles. But the total amount of water inside the bottles (energy/intensity) are equal. Hopefully this clarifies the ambiguity.

Nosebgr said:
because it has greater photon density than the blue one.
Photon density is not directly proportional to how bright you experience something.

Likes valenumr
Orodruin said:
Photon density is not directly proportional to how bright you experience something.
Why not? Intuitively that's how I always pictured it - assuming the angle at which the photons meet the eye are equal.

Nosebgr said:
Why not? Intuitively that's how I always pictured it - assuming the angle at which the photons meet the eye are equal.
Ok, I see now. The receptors in the eye - or a receiver, either way - doesn't necessarily sense / detect purely according to the number of photons. They would respond to the intensity - the rate of power transferred from a particular source. Then, both LED's would theoretically light up at the same brightness. Does this sound correct?

If you have 2 lasers pd the same power consumption one red and one green, the green one is much more visible because the human eye responds better to green light. I don't know about blue light though.
I could have been that green lasers convert electricity to light more efficiently, but, apparently it is not the case.
However if your question has a different aspect, whether blue light led power output over power input is less that for a red led, then as long as they don't emit other light frequencies, like for example infrared, they should have the same ratio.

"Photometry deals with the measurement of visible light as perceived by human eye. " Wikipedia.
We can then compare luminous intensity of those two lights, by the same number of photons or by the same output power calculated using energy of a photon of hf.

Last edited:
I believe we have the least respond to blue light. My neighbour is an insurance assessor who has never done a physics course. He claims blue cars are the hardest to see and hence are in more collisions that seem should never have happened.

Nosebgr said:
In hindsight, perhaps I should have phrased it better. When I said "intensity", I meant it purely in terms of the photon density. I shouldn't have said intensity, because by definition it is the power per unit area. If we feed any two LED's the same power, regardless of their colour, the output intensities will be equal. (You get the same as what you put in). So, in terms of the actual definition of intensity, both LED's are the same as long as their input powers are the same.

However, in the same case, the red LED with the longer wavelength will light up brighter, because it has greater photon density than the blue one.

You can think of it as follows: There are two pools of same sizes, and they are both full. You empty one pool using 0.5L bottles, and the other one with 1L bottles. At the end, you will end up with more 0.5L bottles, (therefore a brighter LED) than the 1L bottles. But the total amount of water inside the bottles (energy/intensity) are equal. Hopefully this clarifies the ambiguity.
Ah so the energy output is whatever the battery supplies regardless of light, but because red light naturally has less energy, more red photons must be emitted in comparison to blue so that output energy is met?

But in the case of stars, more energy released will show blue flames because there isn't a battery limiting the output energy?

Interestingly (what led me to this thread), I have a string of battery-operated LED snowflake lights, which change colors from red to green to blue to yellow, pink, purple, etc. I can tell when the batteries are nearly depleted because they start to appear only red and green, with the other colors failing. As the batteries get lower still, the green fails and they show only red.
Then, I replace the batteries, and the other colors function again, too.

IIRC higher-freq diode lights are using frequency-doubling, tripling, etc. Which is not 100% efficient (some power is lost as heat).

Metals said:
Planck's formula (E=hf) leads me to believe that blue light would drain a battery quicker than red, due to its higher frequency. Surely a device emitting blue light would require more energy (more current), so wouldn't red and green lights which have a lower frequency consume less power than blue, resulting in a slightly longer battery cycle?

you're right about the Planck's constant relation, but it shows up in the voltage not the current
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Brick-Resistors-LEDs
upload_2016-12-17_19-29-11.png

How many electron volts in a blue photon ?

see http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/phys250/modules/module 1/photons.htm
  • What is the energy of a photon of blue light (λ = 450 nm) and of a photon of red light (λ = 700 nm) in units of eV = 1.6*10-19 J?
    Solution:
    E = hc/λ.
    Blue light: E = (6.626*10-34 Js)(3*108 m/s)/(450*10-9 m) = 4.4*10-19 J = 2.76 eV
    Red light: E = (6.626*10-34 Js)(3*108 m/s)/(700*10-9 m) = 2.8*10-19 J = 1.8 eV

Likes dlgoff
I tested a set of colour changing strip lights a while back using a multimeter in series and the blue used the least power, the green used a bit more and the red used the most. I assume it's because you need to use a resistor to drop the voltage more for red and green LEDs then you do for blue LEDs. The LEDs going out as the battery drains is because the forward voltage is higher for blue and green LEDs, not because the battery can't power them.

Michael Skelton said:
I tested a set of colour changing strip lights a while back using a multimeter in series and the blue used the least power, the green used a bit more and the red used the most.
Seems to be some confusion as to what is power.Thought experiment

Connect a red a green and a blue LED in series with a controllable current source. They'll have to be raw LEDs not the kind with an internal resistor that run on 5 or 12 volts.
Set the current source to 10 milliamps, which is typical current for small LEDs . That's 1/100 of an amp.
Since they're in series they all get 10 milliamps..

Measure the voltage across each LED .
Red one will have lowest voltage, see chart in post 16 above, maybe 1¼ volts
Blue will have highest maybe 3 volts

Power in Watts is Volts X Amps
so red consumes 1.25 X 1/100 = 12.5 milliwatts and blue consumes 3 X 1/100 = 30(edit - first time i typed in 3 milliwatts) milliwatts.
What will be volts across the green one , if that chart is accurate ?

How much luminous power each puts out depends on its efficiency.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and vanhees71
I've got a project going on that uses "Ultra Bright/Super Bright" blue LEDs with a luminous intensity (mcd) spec: average is 5000 ~ 6000. What this means from http://www.theledlight.com/technical1.html

LED light output varies with the type of chip, encapsulation, efficiency of individual wafer lots and other variables. Several LED manufacturers use terms such as "super-bright," and "ultra-bright" to describe LED intensity. Such terminology is entirely subjective, as there is no industry standard for LED brightness. The amount of light emitted from an LED is quantified by a single point, on-axis luminous intensity value (Iv). LED intensity is specified in terms of millicandela (mcd). This on-axis measurement is not comparable to mean spherical candlepower (MSCP) values used to quantify the light produced by incandescent lamps.

Likes jim hardy
Thanks for explanations. I came here because my outdoor hiking LED headlamp has a separate red light. When battery gets weak, the white light gets dies. But I can still use the red LED on weak battery.

Nosebgr said:
I was thinking about this as well, but iirc, blues will seem brighter than reds and greens and yellows (perception). It actually annoys me that most modern things have crazy bright blue LEDs. Give me my '80s red led alarm clock.

But I *think*, and it's been a while, that blue LEDs tend to have a lower resistance than, say red LEDs, so one would put a larger resistor in series with the power source.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
Ryeisenman said:
Thanks for explanations. I came here because my outdoor hiking LED headlamp has a separate red light. When battery gets weak, the white light gets dies. But I can still use the red LED on weak battery.
The red light actually exists to not mess up your night vision. But I suppose that doesn't really answer your question. Perception of brightness is a separate topic I think.

Likes hutchphd
valenumr said:
I was thinking about this as well, but iirc, blues will seem brighter than reds and greens and yellows (perception). It actually annoys me that most modern things have crazy bright blue LEDs. Give me my '80s red led alarm clock.

But I *think*, and it's been a while, that blue LEDs tend to have a lower resistance than, say red LEDs, so one would put a larger resistor in series with the power source.
More correctly after looking into it: blue (and white) LEDs tend to have a larger forward voltage than red ones. I shouldn't have called it "resistance", because it's not really the same (the voltage is nearly constant with current).

In any case, this might explain why your red LEDs worked with a low battery at least (smaller forward voltage).

valenumr said:
More correctly after looking into it: blue (and white) LEDs tend to have a larger forward voltage than red ones. I shouldn't have called it "resistance", because it's not really the same (the voltage is nearly constant with current).

In any case, this might explain why your red LEDs worked with a low battery at least (smaller forward voltage).
This is exactly correct! The band gap in the materials for particular color LED has the appropriate energy for that photon. Assuming a similar quantum efficiency, the photon number output will scale with current for all of the colors but the energy will scale with the bandgap voltage. More energy from the blue at a given current.
Of course @jim hardy had it correct. RIP.

Likes valenumr
I just found this post while googling about my Christmas lights, and I think I've got some interesting anecdotal evidence for you all.

The little guys in question are color-shifting LEDs. There's a red, green, and blue, and it slowly color cycles each one so they blend through the color wheel.

When left on long enough, as the battery drains, the blue LEDs will just stop lighting up at all. When it gets really low, the greens die out, too.

Which leaves us with spooky little red lights that dim in and out.

Likes berkeman and Drakkith
Welcome to PF.

Krail said:
Which leaves us with spooky little red lights that dim in and out.
Yep, those are the ones with the lowest Vf. :smile:

What is the reason behind blue lights consuming more power than red and green lights?

The main reason for this is the difference in wavelength. Blue light has a shorter wavelength than red and green light, which means it has more energy. This higher energy requires more power to produce the same amount of light as red and green lights.

Do different types of blue lights consume different amounts of power?

Yes, different types of blue lights can have varying power consumption. This can depend on factors such as the materials used, the manufacturing process, and the design of the light. However, in general, blue lights will still consume more power than red and green lights due to their shorter wavelength.

Why are blue lights still used if they consume more power?

Blue lights are used for various applications, such as in electronic devices, automotive lighting, and streetlights. They are preferred for their brightness and color accuracy. Although they may consume more power, advancements in technology have made them more energy-efficient over the years.

Do blue lights have any advantages over red and green lights?

Yes, blue lights have several advantages over red and green lights. They have a higher color rendering index (CRI), which means they can produce a wider range of colors. They also have a higher luminous efficacy, meaning they can produce more light per unit of power. Additionally, blue lights are known to have a positive impact on mood and can help with alertness and concentration.

Is there a way to reduce the power consumption of blue lights?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the power consumption of blue lights. One way is to use more energy-efficient blue light sources, such as LED lights. Another way is to use dimming or color temperature adjustments, which can reduce the amount of blue light emitted. Additionally, turning off unnecessary blue lights can also help reduce overall power consumption.