Boas 4.12.18, 2nd Derivatives of Imp. Multivariable Integral

In summary, the function u(x,y) satisfies the Laplace equation in two dimensions except for the case where y=0, where it corresponds to a source term of the form f(x)δ'(y). The Laplace equation is satisfied for all other values of y, as shown by the first derivatives and the second derivatives. The factor of π is included in u(x,y) because it is an important overall factor in the definition of the Green's function.
mishima

Homework Statement

Show that u(x, y) = y/π ∫-∞ f(t) dt / ((x - t)2+y2) satisfies uxx + uyy = 0.

Homework Equations

Leibniz' Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure Leibniz' Rule can be applied here since there seems to be a discontinuity in the integrand when x=t and y=0. When I use it and take the second derivatives, I get terms that have no way of cancelling (for example the -2(x-t) and -2y terms). I also tried integration by parts first but it did not simplify things.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The function does not satisfy the Laplace equation in two dimensions at ##y = 0##. The Green's function of the Poisson equation in 2D is proportional to ##\ln(r^2/r_0^2)##. It is a matter of rather straight-forward computations to show that your function corresponds to a source term of the form ##f(x) \delta'(y)##, i.e.,
$$
u_{xx} + u_{yy} \propto f(x) \delta'(y).
$$

So my goal is to show the Laplace equation is satisfied for all other values of y?

For other values of ##y##, you should indeed get zero.

Are my first derivatives correct?

With (x-t)2+y2=g for compactness:

ux=-2xy/π∫f(t)dt/g2 + 2y/π∫t*f(t)dt/g2

uy=1/π∫f(t)dt/g - 2y2/π∫f(t)dt/g2

I suggest you remove the integral, ##\pi##, and ##f(t)## for readability. They will always be there. I also strongly recommend against splitting the ##(x-t)## into two terms in the first derivative wrt ##x##, but yes, they look correct.

$$ u_x = \frac {-2y(x-t)}{g^2}$$

$$ u_y = \frac {1}{g} - \frac {2y^2}{g^2} $$

Yes, that looks fine. Now the second derivatives.

$$u_{xx} = \frac {1}{g^2} - \frac {4(x-t)^2}{g^3}$$

$$u_{yy} = \frac {8y^3}{g^3} - \frac{6y}{g^2}$$

edit: oops I forgot the -2y in ##u_{xx}##

You are missing the inner derivative of the first term in ##u_{xx}## and a factor 2 in the second term (one from the ##g^2## in the denominator and one from the inner derivative). You also have some sign errors.

Edit: Ok, what is missing is your factor ##-2y##. So what do you get when you do the sum?

$$u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 8y \left( \frac {y^2-(x-t)^2}{g^3} - \frac {1}{g^2}\right)$$

Alright, I see it now. Thank you!

Auxillary question, why is the factor of π included in u(x,y)? Is u a function that comes up in the sciences?

The factor 1/pi is obviuosly irrelevant for whether or not you get zero. It is however an important overall factor in the definition of the Green’s function.

Likes mishima
mishima said:

Homework Statement

Show that u(x, y) = y/π ∫-∞ f(t) dt / ((x - t)2+y2) satisfies uxx + uyy = 0.

Homework Equations

Leibniz' Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure Leibniz' Rule can be applied here since there seems to be a discontinuity in the integrand when x=t and y=0. When I use it and take the second derivatives, I get terms that have no way of cancelling (for example the -2(x-t) and -2y terms). I also tried integration by parts first but it did not simplify things.
Your expression is ambiguous. I genuinely cannot tell if you mean
$$u(x,t) = \frac{y}{\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{f(t)}{(x-t)^2+y^2}\hspace{4ex}(1)$$
or
$$ u(x,t) = \frac{y}{\pi \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{f(t)}{(x-t)^2 + y^2} \, dt} \hspace{5ex}(2)$$
or, possibly, something else. Please use parentheses to make everything clear and unabmiguous (or, better still, use LaTeX to typeset your expressions, just as I have done in the above).

1. What is the significance of Boas 4.12.18 in the field of calculus?

Boas 4.12.18 is a mathematical formula that is used to calculate the second derivatives of important multivariable integrals. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior and properties of multivariable functions and their integrals.

2. How is Boas 4.12.18 derived?

Boas 4.12.18 is derived from the general formula for the second derivative of a multivariable function. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, and then multiplying them by the corresponding second partial derivatives.

3. Can Boas 4.12.18 be applied to any type of multivariable integral?

Yes, Boas 4.12.18 can be applied to any type of multivariable integral, as long as the function being integrated is continuous and differentiable.

4. Is Boas 4.12.18 used in any real-world applications?

Yes, Boas 4.12.18 is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and solve problems involving multivariable functions and integrals.

5. Are there any other important derivatives or formulas related to Boas 4.12.18?

Yes, there are other important derivatives and formulas related to Boas 4.12.18, such as the Chain Rule, Product Rule, and Quotient Rule for multivariable functions. These are all essential tools in solving complex problems involving multivariable integrals.