Boiling Water Sounds: Exploring What's Going On

In summary, when boiling water, there are pinging sounds that grow louder until there is some sort of phase transition and they quiet down. That's about when the tea kettle starts to whistle.
Hornbein
I boil water in a tea kettle. When it's starting to boil there are pinging sounds. These grow louder until there is some sort of phase transition and they quiet down. That's about when the tea kettle starts to whistle. What's going on?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, that's how it goes. I don't have a real answer, only a guess: it is related to the water degassing (solubility of gases goes down with the temperature) and size/presence of the bubbles in water (which change the way sound propagates in water).

Likes sophiecentaur
As far as I know it's about small, local bubbles of steam popping up and then collapsing when cooling down due their expansion and rise. Kind of like (mechanical) cavitation, just different reason.
When the energy available is finally enough to keep the bubbles going it quiets down (and start boiling).

To make coffee I pour a cup of water into the tea kettle and boil that. In this case the boiling doesn't quiet down, instead it gets louder. I (infer?deduce?) that the pinging sound comes from bubbles detaching from the metal surface of the kettle. If the water is deep enough then most of the later bubbles form away from the surface. If the water is shallow then most of the bubbles continue to detach from the metal.

Hornbein said:
To make coffee I pour a cup of water into the tea kettle and boil that. In this case the boiling doesn't quiet down, instead it gets louder.
It seems to me that there are at least two factors here. De-gassing takes place at relatively low temperatures (singing kettle due to many small bubbles) and actual boiling will happen at around 100C. The rate of boiling, after 100C, will depend on the power supplied and the noise will depend on the specific surface and even details of thermal contact between element and water. 'Bumping' is the descriptive term for what you can get under some conditions. Also, the size of a typical kettle can give resonances to the sound inside it and sound louder for some kettles than others

Your small mass of water probably goes quickly through the stages. A kettle full of water (or even an urn) can produce the different effects at noticeably different times. I notice our kettle starts of (a few seconds after switch on) with distinct 'cracking' sounds for a short time, particularly with freshly drawn water.

You should take care, here. You could get addicted to the sounds plus the taste of coffee/.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G

1. Why does water make noise when it boils?

Water makes noise when it boils primarily due to the formation and collapse of bubbles in the water as it transitions from a liquid to a gas. These bubbles are formed at the bottom of the container, where the water is heated. As the bubbles rise and reach cooler water, they collapse, producing a characteristic boiling sound.

2. What does the sound of boiling water indicate?

The sound of boiling water indicates the different stages of the boiling process. Initially, when water starts to heat up, small bubbles form and collapse quickly, creating a gentle sound. As the water temperature increases, these bubbles become larger and do not collapse as readily, which intensifies the sound. When the water reaches a rolling boil, the sound becomes steadier and louder, indicating vigorous boiling.

3. Can the sound of boiling water vary depending on the container used?

Yes, the sound of boiling water can vary depending on the material and shape of the container. Different materials conduct and distribute heat differently, affecting how bubbles form and collapse. For example, a thin metal pot might heat unevenly, causing sporadic boiling sounds, whereas a thick-bottomed pot provides more uniform heating and a steadier boiling sound. Additionally, the size and shape of the pot can influence the acoustics of the boiling sounds.

4. Is it possible to determine the temperature of boiling water by its sound?

While it is not possible to determine the exact temperature of boiling water just by sound, you can generally gauge whether the water is approaching a boil or is already vigorously boiling. The increasing intensity and frequency of the boiling sounds can indicate that the water temperature is rising. However, for precise temperature measurements, a thermometer is necessary.

5. Does altitude affect the sound of boiling water?

Altitude can affect the sound of boiling water indirectly by influencing the boiling point of water. At higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower, causing water to boil at a lower temperature. This can change how the bubbles form and collapse, potentially altering the boiling sounds. For example, at higher altitudes, water might boil with a less vigorous sound due to the lower temperature and pressure.