Boltzmann equation for carrier transport

In summary: I didn't do anything myself because I wanted to provide a link to a text that is written by an expert in the field. I believe that the BE for electrons is originally derived for a gas of particles because I do not have much knowledge about this field, but I would like to learn more.
vead
I am little bit confused about derivation for Boltzmann equation for electron

look at this link http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2008-10/articlesu25.html

which is final boltazmann equation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, heavy stuff! If you can read that and understand it too, you're beyond the introductory level imho.

Did you notice the Physics Forum chiseled the rule to use the template in very hard stone ? Why didn't you do anything yourself and only give a link to a tekst that says "and the BE for electrons reads...". You don't believe that's true ? Why not ? What do you know about the "BE (originally derived for a gas of particles)" from introductory introductory physics ?

BvU said:
Well, heavy stuff! If you can read that and understand it too, you're beyond the introductory level imho.

Did you notice the Physics Forum chiseled the rule to use the template in very hard stone ? Why didn't you do anything yourself and only give a link to a tekst that says "and the BE for electrons reads...". You don't believe that's true ? Why not ? What do you know about the "BE (originally derived for a gas of particles)" from introductory introductory physics ?

I don't have much knowledge about this field so that's why I posted here.
there are may equations
electron energy
electron velocity
coefficient function of electron energy
scattering of electron
electron enthalpy
I have read some topics but I did not understand which is final Boltzmann equation

Last edited:
please help me

That is what I am trying to do. What about your knowledge of statistical mechanics

1. What is the Boltzmann equation for carrier transport?

The Boltzmann equation is a fundamental equation in the field of solid-state physics that describes the behavior of particles, such as electrons and holes, in a material under the influence of an electric field. It is used to understand how these particles move and interact with each other, and how this affects the overall electrical and thermal properties of a material.

2. How is the Boltzmann equation derived?

The Boltzmann equation is derived from the principles of statistical mechanics and the kinetic theory of gases. It takes into account the interactions between particles, as well as their collisions with the lattice vibrations in a material. This equation is then solved to obtain the distribution of particles in energy and their velocity, which can be used to calculate important properties such as conductivity and thermoelectric coefficients.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Boltzmann equation?

The Boltzmann equation makes several simplifying assumptions, including the neglect of quantum effects, the assumption that particles are in thermal equilibrium, and the neglect of correlations between particles. These assumptions are necessary to make the equation solvable and provide a good approximation for most practical applications in solid-state physics.

4. How is the Boltzmann equation used in device simulations?

The Boltzmann equation is often used in device simulations to model the behavior of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells. By solving the equation for a specific device structure and operating conditions, researchers can predict the device performance and optimize its design. This is particularly useful for developing new technologies and improving existing devices.

5. What are the limitations of the Boltzmann equation?

While the Boltzmann equation is a powerful tool for understanding carrier transport in materials, it has some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of disorder and impurities, which can significantly affect the behavior of particles in real materials. Additionally, it is only valid for systems in thermal equilibrium, and cannot be used for non-equilibrium phenomena such as hot carrier effects. In these cases, more advanced models and simulations are needed to accurately describe the behavior of carriers.