Bipolar transport in a simple illuminated semiconductor bar

In summary, the delta n and delta p always accompany each other, but the current produced is zero when the material is externally biased.
zhanghe
TL;DR Summary
light-conducivity and the practical movement of electron and hole.
I feel quite confused for a few days, when I apply the bipolar transport equation into a voltage-applied semicondutor material (e.g. p-type c-Si bar, or a resistor) which just have some light-generated electron-hole pairs by a pulse of photon at somewhere on the bar. In terms of bipolar transport theory, the delta n and delta p should go together along the bar in the direction as the so-called minority carrier should go (as the e.g. above, the electron for a p-type c-Si) . However, it seems that there will be no net light current, because delta n and delta p always accompany each other on the 1-D bar. On the other hand, we always use the delta n + delta p the sum to give a light electrical current (i.e. light conductivity).
Please give me some hints, there must be somewhere wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is why one needs a PN junction to produce photocurrent!

There should also be a photocurrent on a p-type (or n-type) material without PN junction, the so-called the light-conductivity for material. :confused:

zhanghe said:
TL;DR Summary: light-conducivity and the practical movement of electron and hole.

In terms of bipolar transport theory, the delta n and delta p should go together along the bar in the direction as the so-called minority carrier should go (as the e.g. above, the electron for a p-type c-Si)
But the material must be externally biased in order to produce current. Why do you think they are equal??

When there is a current in a material externally biased, could you help me to analyze the composition of the current, the density of two carriers and their movement direct? I thought about it for a while last night and attach a file below, that could explain my confusion easily.
1679959298409.jpeg

I believe the the conductivity comes mostly from the majority carriers whose number in the conduction band is promoted by the light, hence the photoresponse. I do not understand your sketch but I believe the "bipolar transport" is secondary.
I am not expert in this field so invite comment!!

zhanghe said:
TL;DR Summary: light-conducivity and the practical movement of electron and hole.

I feel quite confused for a few days, when I apply the bipolar transport equation into a voltage-applied semicondutor material (e.g. p-type c-Si bar, or a resistor) which just have some light-generated electron-hole pairs by a pulse of photon at somewhere on the bar. In terms of bipolar transport theory, the delta n and delta p should go together along the bar in the direction as the so-called minority carrier should go (as the e.g. above, the electron for a p-type c-Si) . However, it seems that there will be no net light current, because delta n and delta p always accompany each other on the 1-D bar. On the other hand, we always use the delta n + delta p the sum to give a light electrical current (i.e. light conductivity).
Please give me some hints, there must be somewhere wrong.
Maybe, you will find some information on photoconductivity at
https://www.eeeguide.com/photoconductivity-definition-working-and-its-applications/

Thanks guys. I could withdraw this "problem" for now. Finally, I found my mistake, the bipolar transport, ie. the movement of the delta n is totally different the electrical current. the bipolar is more like a kind of forms, but when you look into the current, you have to go to the movement of the n and p. Anyway, thanks your guys so much.

Likes Lord Jestocost

1. What is bipolar transport in a simple illuminated semiconductor bar?

Bipolar transport refers to the movement of both positive and negative charge carriers (electrons and holes) within a semiconductor material. In a simple illuminated semiconductor bar, this movement is induced by the absorption of light, which generates electron-hole pairs that can then contribute to the flow of current.

2. How does illumination affect bipolar transport in a semiconductor bar?

Illumination can significantly impact bipolar transport in a semiconductor bar by creating additional electron-hole pairs and increasing the number of charge carriers available for transport. This can lead to a higher current flow and altered electrical properties of the material.

3. What factors influence bipolar transport in a simple illuminated semiconductor bar?

The efficiency of bipolar transport in a semiconductor bar can be influenced by various factors, including the type and concentration of dopants, the temperature, the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, and the electrical field applied to the material.

4. How is bipolar transport measured in a simple illuminated semiconductor bar?

Bipolar transport can be measured through various techniques, such as Hall effect measurements, current-voltage (IV) characteristics, and photoluminescence spectroscopy. These methods provide information about the charge carrier mobility, lifetime, and concentration, which are important parameters for understanding bipolar transport.

5. What are the applications of bipolar transport in simple illuminated semiconductor bars?

The understanding and control of bipolar transport in semiconductor bars have numerous practical applications, including the development of photovoltaic devices, light-emitting diodes (LEDs), and other optoelectronic devices. It is also crucial for the design and optimization of semiconductor devices used in electronic circuits, such as transistors and integrated circuits.