Bomb explosion -- calculating the momentum of one of the fragments

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of balancing momentum and the correct method for solving a given problem. The speaker initially suggests that the direction of movement for two parts must be balanced by the resultant of the two vectors in the opposite direction. However, another speaker points out that it does not matter what direction the two parts move, as long as their total momentum is balanced by the third part. The first speaker then realizes that this is the correct approach and thanks the other speaker. They also ask for verification on a different post, providing a link for reference.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A bomb at rest explodes into 3 parts of the same mass. The momentum of the 2parts is -2pi^ and pj^. The momentum magnitude of the third part will be
Relevant Equations
##\vec R=\sqrt{{a\hat i}^2+{b\hat j}^2}##
I think if the two parts move in -x and +y direction, it must be balanced by the resultant of the two vectors but in opposite direction.
So ##p\sqrt5## will be the answer.
But I don’t think this is the right way to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
I think if the two parts move in -x and +y direction, it must be balanced by the resultant of the two vectors but in opposite direction.
It doesn't matter what direction the two parts move. Their total momentum must be balanced by that of the third part.
rudransh verma said:
But I don’t think this is the right way to solve this.
Why not?

Doc Al said:
It doesn't matter what direction the two parts move. Their total momentum must be balanced by that of the third part.
Oh. So this is right. Thanks again.
Can you verify my other post?

rudransh verma said:
Can you verify my other post?
What post? Provide a link.

1. How is momentum calculated in a bomb explosion?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the fragment by its velocity. This can be done using the formula p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. What factors affect the momentum of a fragment in a bomb explosion?

The momentum of a fragment can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the fragment, the velocity at which it is ejected from the explosion, and any external forces acting on it.

3. Can the momentum of a fragment in a bomb explosion be predicted?

Yes, the momentum of a fragment can be predicted by using mathematical equations and taking into account the factors mentioned above, such as mass and velocity.

4. How is the momentum of a fragment in a bomb explosion measured?

The momentum of a fragment can be measured using specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras or accelerometers. These devices can capture the velocity and acceleration of the fragment, which can then be used to calculate its momentum.

5. Why is it important to calculate the momentum of fragments in a bomb explosion?

Calculating the momentum of fragments in a bomb explosion is important for understanding the destructive power of the explosion and its potential impact on surrounding objects and structures. It can also provide valuable information for forensic investigations and improving bomb detection and prevention methods.