Bonding in coordination complexes

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the coordination number of copper(I) in compounds like [Cu(P(C6H5)3)3]+ is 3 due to the interaction between lone pairs from ligands and empty orbitals on the central metal atom. The copper atom has a 1+ charge and configuration of [Ar] 4s0 3d10, so the new bonds are formed between the lone pairs on each phosphorous and the 3 4p orbitals from copper. The 4s orbital is not involved in this bonding. There are methods to determine the coordination number of a metal with ligands, but more information or sources are needed for further explanation.
MathewsMD
For metals like copper(I), how does it have a coordination number of 3 in some compounds like [Cu(P(C6H5)3)3]+. I've learned that these coordination bonds are formed by interacting lone pairs from ligands and empty orbitals on the central metal atom. In this case, copper has a 1+ charge and configuration of [Ar] 4s0 3d10 and I'm just slightly confused on how it would form 3 bonds...
Would new bonds just be formed between the lone pair on each phosphorous and the 3 4p orbitals from copper? What happens to the 4s orbital in this case?

If there's a method to determine the coordination number of a metal with ligands, could you please expand on that as well or refer me to any sources?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is this question not addressed by CTF?

1. What is a coordination complex?

A coordination complex is a compound that is made up of a central metal ion or atom surrounded by ligands. Ligands are molecules or ions that have at least one lone pair of electrons that can bond to the metal ion or atom.

2. How do ligands bond to metal ions in coordination complexes?

Ligands can bond to metal ions through various types of bonding, including coordinate covalent bonds, ionic bonds, and dative bonds. These bonds are formed when the lone pair of electrons on the ligand interacts with the empty orbitals of the metal ion.

3. What is the role of coordination complexes in biological systems?

Coordination complexes play a crucial role in biological systems, such as enzyme catalysis, oxygen transport, and DNA binding. They also serve as essential components in many biochemical processes, including photosynthesis and respiration.

4. How does the geometry of a coordination complex affect its properties?

The geometry of a coordination complex is determined by the number of ligands and the type of bonding between the ligands and the central metal ion. This geometry greatly influences the physical and chemical properties of the complex, such as its stability, reactivity, and color.

5. Can coordination complexes exhibit different oxidation states?

Yes, coordination complexes can exhibit different oxidation states, which refer to the number of electrons that the central metal ion has gained or lost. These oxidation states can affect the electronic structure and properties of the complex, making it more or less reactive or stable.