Book recommendation - Mech. Eng.

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering master's student who is looking for recommendations on books to improve their knowledge in numerical methods and partial differential equations. They have found many results through Googling, but are seeking recommendations from engineers. One recommendation is Hildebrand's Numerical Analysis book, which is particularly useful for modeling plates and shells. Another recommendation is a book on the Finite Element Method for biharmonic PDEs.
Jo_Beijaards
Hi everyone,

I'm currentyly doing my master in Control Systems (mechanical engineering), and since I'm nearly graduating I was contemplating at what I've learned so far. Upon doing so, I realized that there where some areas I seriously lack knowledge in areas that I assume are important.

Therefore, I was wandering if someone could recommend me a book regarding:

* Numerical Methods
I often use the MATLAB ODE solvers, but I've no idea what's "under the hood". Hence, I'm looking for a book to bolster my numerical method skills, one that can teach me what's inside such a solver and how to build one myself (for when the MATLAB license expires). * Partial Differential Equations
Since almost everything I model, before simplification, is a PDE, I think a basic knowledge is advisable. Even if only to simulate the system and check that the simplification is indeed justified. Apart from that, I'm just very interested in this topic :-)Although googeling for books have yielded many results, I do not know which one suits my need/level, so that's why I'm looking for recommedations from engineers.

With kind regards,
Jo

Physics news on Phys.org
I like old books, and I would recommend Hildebrand's Numerical Analysis book.

ODE and PDE solvers are very problem-dependent; their numerical behavior can vary to a large extent depending on particular physical properties on the original model. If, for example, you are interested in modeling of plates and/or shells, their mathematical models are often described by biharmonic PDEs. A special numerical method exists for such cases, call the Finite Element Method. You may want to have a look at the following book:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~comecau/quad_shell.htm
There is also a page on amazon.com devoted to that book, with reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646930818/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Book recommendation - Mech. Eng.

1. What are some good books for beginners in mechanical engineering?

Some good books for beginners in mechanical engineering include "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, "Mechanics of Materials" by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno, and "Introduction to Mechanical Engineering" by Jonathan Wickert and Kemper Lewis.

2. Are there any books that cover both theory and practical applications in mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are several books that cover both theory and practical applications in mechanical engineering, such as "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" by Richard G. Budynas and J. Keith Nisbett, "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by J.L. Meriam and L.G. Kraige, and "Mechanical Engineering: Principles and Practices" by John Bird and Carl Ross.

3. Is there a specific book that covers all major topics in mechanical engineering?

There is no single book that covers all major topics in mechanical engineering, as it is a broad and complex field. However, "Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" by Eugene A. Avallone, Theodore Baumeister III, and Ali M. Sadegh covers a wide range of topics and is considered a comprehensive reference for mechanical engineers.

4. What are some good books for advanced topics in mechanical engineering?

For advanced topics in mechanical engineering, some recommended books include "Advanced Strength and Applied Elasticity" by Ansel C. Ugural and Saul K. Fenster, "Mechanical Behavior of Materials" by Thomas H. Courtney, and "Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System" by Timothy A. Philpot.

5. Are there any books that focus specifically on the design aspect of mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are books that specifically focus on the design aspect of mechanical engineering, such as "Machine Design: An Integrated Approach" by Robert L. Norton, "Design of Machinery" by Robert L. Norton, and "Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach" by Ansel C. Ugural and Devendra K. Singh.