Books on Topological Insulators

In summary, books on topological insulators provide a comprehensive understanding of the unique electronic properties and potential applications of topological materials. They cover topics such as band theory, symmetry, and topological invariants, as well as experimental techniques and theoretical models for studying these materials. These books also explore the potential of topological insulators in various fields, including quantum computing and spintronics. They are essential resources for researchers and students in the field of condensed matter physics.
Joker93
Hello.
Do you know of any good material on topological insulators like books, review papers etc?
I would prefer something more oriented towards theoretical physics(because I know that there are reviews out there that are purely experimental).
Thank you!

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Have you tried searching for them via google?
Google will give books, but not suggest books. Here, the OP will get suggestions from experts in each field, while google will simply enlist the book names without suggesting the pros and cons of each.

Likes The Bill, Demystifier and Joker93
Wrichik Basu said:
Google will give books, but not suggest books. Here, the OP will get suggestions from experts in each field, while google will simply enlist the book names without suggesting the pros and cons of each.

There may not be any experts in these areas on our site. We are a group of volunteers who try to help students. That is our main mission.

If you list the books you find then someone will say oh I read that and ... then you’ll get something tangible here to consider.

Joker93 said:
Hello.
Do you know of any good material on topological insulators like books, review papers etc?
I would prefer something more oriented towards theoretical physics(because I know that there are reviews out there that are purely experimental).
Thank you!

I'm sorry that you have been getting sent around in circles on this; I've been preparing an exam on this very topic and didn't have a chance to reply to your first query (which was well-posed, IMO).

The topics you are asking about are largely too recent for books, most of the topics are found in review articles (Rev. Mod. Phys.) and in ArXiv. In general, you are asking about many-body physics, and Coleman's book "Introduction to Many-Body Physics" is a good place to start (assuming it's at an appropriate level for you).

Likes The Bill and Joker93
Andy Resnick said:
I'm sorry that you have been getting sent around in circles on this; I've been preparing an exam on this very topic and didn't have a chance to reply to your first query (which was well-posed, IMO).

The topics you are asking about are largely too recent for books, most of the topics are found in review articles (Rev. Mod. Phys.) and in ArXiv. In general, you are asking about many-body physics, and Coleman's book "Introduction to Many-Body Physics" is a good place to start (assuming it's at an appropriate level for you).
Thanks for the suggestion.

Does the textbook contain more recent material such as Weyl semimetals?

Also, do you, by any chance, have lecture notes based on your course that would not have a problem sharing?

Joker93 said:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Does the textbook contain more recent material such as Weyl semimetals?

Also, do you, by any chance, have lecture notes based on your course that would not have a problem sharing?

Not sure, but here's another book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XR7KRS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

My lecture notes aren't worth sharing.

1. What are topological insulators?

Topological insulators are a type of material that have unique electronic properties in their surface or boundary, making them insulators in the bulk but conductors on their surface. This is due to the topology, or arrangement of atoms, in the material.

2. What is the importance of studying topological insulators?

Studying topological insulators can lead to advancements in technology, such as faster and more efficient electronic devices. They also have potential applications in quantum computing and spintronics.

3. How are books on topological insulators helpful for researchers?

Books on topological insulators provide comprehensive and in-depth information on the theoretical and experimental aspects of these materials. They also cover the latest research and developments in the field, making them valuable resources for researchers and scientists.

4. Who can benefit from reading books on topological insulators?

Scientists, researchers, and students in the fields of physics, materials science, and engineering can benefit from reading books on topological insulators. These books can also be useful for those interested in the practical applications of these materials.

5. Can books on topological insulators be understood by non-experts?

Yes, there are books on topological insulators that are written for non-experts and provide a basic understanding of the topic. However, some background knowledge in quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics may be helpful in fully grasping the concepts presented in these books.