Books to review before entering Calculus?

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for books to review over their month-long winter break to prepare for calculus. They have a weak background in K-12 math and are willing to spend 6+ hours a day studying. They are questioning if they need separate books for algebra, geometry, algebra II, and precalc or if some books combine these subjects. They have received a recommendation to use the book "Basic Mathematics" by Lang. They also inquire about strengthening their high school math background to prepare for reading Spivak's calculus. Other suggestions include using Lial for algebra and the Allendoerfer & Oakley text for a rigorous precalculus course.
nickadams
i'm about to enter calculus, and I'm worried I have a weak background in K-12 math.

What are some good books I could review over my month-long winter break to get ready for calculus? I could study like 6+ hours a day and since the concepts in K-12 math are not overly complicated I think I could get a lot done review-wise. Do I need to get a book for algebra 1, geometry, algebra II, and precalc like they had it structured in high school or do some books have some of those subjects combined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go over the book "basic mathematics" by Lang. It's all you need.

micromass said:
Go over the book "basic mathematics" by Lang. It's all you need.

really, all K-12 math topics can be covered in one book? That's pretty sweet.

Since I doubt I will have time to complete every problem in the textbook in 1 month, does anyone have a syllabus for a class that assigned problems so I can take advantage of an experienced teacher's selection of problems?

I was wondering if there are books that treat introductory math topics "rigourously"? I want to try to read Spivak's calculus after I strengthen my high school math background, so I thought it may be useful to have seen some rigourous treatment of classes like Algebra I and II, geometry, and Pre-cal...

Any suggestions? I would like to start from the beginning and work my way up to Spivak's calculus...

Edit: @ Micromass, thank you for the lang recommendation. I found out my library has that book and I will definitely use it but I still wanted to ask about how I could strengthen my high school math background enough to prepare me for spivak's calc.

nickadams said:
What are some good books I could review over my month-long winter break to get ready for calculus? I could study like 6+ hours a day and since the concepts in K-12 math are not overly complicated I think I could get a lot done review-wise. Do I need to get a book for algebra 1, geometry, algebra II, and precalc like they had it structured in high school or do some books have some of those subjects combined?
For Algebra I and Algebra II I would recommend Lial:
http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Introductory-Algebra/9780321557131.page"
http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Intermediate-Algebra/9780321574978.page"
These are college textbooks for remedial classes. The teaching is done in the text. There are plenty of exercises.

If you haven't done so, look at the "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122924" (by Allendoerfer & Oakley) for a rigorous Pre-calculus course.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of reviewing books before entering Calculus?

Reviewing books before entering Calculus can help to refresh your understanding of key concepts, build a strong foundation for more advanced topics, and improve your overall performance in the course.

2. What are the recommended books to review before entering Calculus?

Some popular books for reviewing before entering Calculus include "Pre-Calculus for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, "Calculus Essentials for Dummies" by Mark Ryan, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart.

3. How should I approach reviewing books before entering Calculus?

It is important to set a schedule and stick to it, actively engage with the material by taking notes and working through practice problems, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

4. Can reviewing books before entering Calculus help me save time in the course?

Yes, reviewing books before entering Calculus can help you save time in the course by giving you a head start on the material and helping you to better understand and retain the concepts being taught.

5. Is it necessary to review books before entering Calculus if I have taken a pre-Calculus course?

While it is not necessary, it can still be beneficial to review books before entering Calculus even if you have taken a pre-Calculus course. This will help to solidify your understanding of key concepts and prepare you for more advanced topics.