Booting from USB to default to KNOPPIX

• Thread starter julian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary: I worked out how to do it.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an external CD drive for a laptop and the desire to boot from it upon restarting the computer. The speaker also mentions the risk of booting from external devices and the possibility of installing Knoppix to the harddrive or using a virtual machine instead. They also recommend using a different Linux distribution for everyday use due to ease of updating.
julian
Gold Member
I have an external cd drive for my laptop. When I restart my computer I want it to boot from this external drive and my KNOPPIX disc.

I'm trying to get my computer to default to the USB upon restarting. But I'm not sure how to do it. When the computer restarts I press F2 for setup (I have windows Vista by the way). Then

##\rightarrow## PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility

##\rightarrow## Boot

##\rightarrow## Boot Device Priority

and I get the screen:

SAM_1209.JPG
But I don't know what to do next!

Attachments

• SAM_1209.JPG
    SAM_1209.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 623
Computer science news on Phys.org
The link to the figure "SAM_1209.JPG" is missing. But, in general you should put the USB disk first in boot order. I don't see why you want to do this. Why are you not installing Knoppix or another Linux to your harddrive. Alternatively, you can install it in a virtual machine.

In general, it’s dangerous to boot from an external device especially a USB stick that could have been compromised with malware. For CD drives it’s less of a risk because usually you boot the computer then insert and load the CD and seldom leave it in the drive. Also, you usually know what’s on it as either you created it or its a factory disk from the vendor.

USB sticks are different. It’s common to use them to share files between users and so a compromised stick could infect your machine just like diskettes did in the past.

In one famous espionage case, USB sticks were sprinkled in a parking lot and unsuspecting Good Samaritan employees popped them into their computers and installed some vicious malware that took over the corporate network of a major company. The employees thought they could check the files on the stick and return the stick to its original owner.

@jedishrfu, as I understand he talks about a cd drive connected via USB. But, I agree with your points regarding not booting from external devices.

The instructions I give is therefore on the OP's own risk. In BIOS the CD drive is listed as number 4. By using the "-" key you can move the drive up in boot order, so it is number one. Then, save and exit by using "F10".

But, as I said in my first reply, I recommend to either install to harddrive or in virtual machine instead.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks eyes. I worked out how to do it.

Can I install what is on my cd to harddrive or do I need to dowload the KNOPPIX software from somewhere?

As described here, it is possible to install KNOPPIX to the harddrive. It is however not recommended. KNOPPIX is not a Linux distribution for everyday use. It is instead a distribution which one is using for rescuing failed systems, e.g. copy data or partition the harddrive etc. For this kind of things it is very useful.
But, if you want a Linux distribution to be used instead of Windows I recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

One reason for not installing Knoppix to harddrive is that the software cannot be easily updated. So, you will not run an updated system which over time could be dangerous. Most/all the software included on the Knoppix CD can also be installed in the distributions I mentioned.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks eyes.

1. What is KNOPPIX?

KNOPPIX is a Linux-based operating system that can be booted directly from a USB drive. It includes a variety of tools and applications for data recovery, system maintenance, and general use.

2. Why would I want to boot from USB to default to KNOPPIX?

Booting from USB to default to KNOPPIX allows you to run the operating system without actually installing it on your computer. This can be useful for troubleshooting, data recovery, or exploring the features of KNOPPIX without affecting your current operating system.

3. How do I create a bootable USB drive with KNOPPIX?

To create a bootable USB drive with KNOPPIX, you will need a USB drive with at least 4GB of storage and a program like Rufus or UNetbootin. These programs will guide you through the process of downloading the KNOPPIX ISO file and transferring it to your USB drive.

4. Can I use KNOPPIX on any computer?

Yes, KNOPPIX is designed to be compatible with a wide range of hardware. However, it is always a good idea to check the system requirements and compatibility before attempting to boot from USB to default to KNOPPIX.

5. What are some common uses for KNOPPIX?

KNOPPIX can be used for a variety of purposes, such as data recovery, system maintenance, and troubleshooting. It also includes a variety of applications for everyday use, such as web browsing, office tasks, and multimedia playback.