Boundary Conditions on a Penning Trap

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for a charged particle in a Penning Trap, considering both electric and magnetic fields. The particle's trajectory is to be determined using Mathematica, but there is confusion about the boundary conditions and the correct expression for acceleration in cylindrical coordinates.
md.xavier

Homework Statement

Consider a charged particle, of mass m and charge q, confined in a device called a Penning Trap. In this device, there is a quadrupole electric field described in cartesian coordinates by the potential

Phi[x,y,z] = U0 (2z^2 - x^2 - y^2) / (r0^2 + 2z0^2)

Where U0 is the constant electrode potential, r0 and z0 are the radial and vertical extension of the device. There is also an uniform magnetic field through OZ of intensity B0. Determine the equations of motion for the particle and represent the respective trajectory, using Mathematica.

Homework Equations

Lorentz Force
117693a4a6d55502f66788d04f156c72.png

http://gabrielse.physics.harvard.edu/gabrielse/papers/1990/1990_tjoelker/chapter_2.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

So, basically what I did was convert the potential to cylindrical coordinates and write it as such:

Phi[r, θ, z] = U0 (2z^2 - r^2)/4d^2, where d 4d^2 is the denominator in the cartesian potential.

Then I split the movement into radial (r) and axial (z). For axial movement, there'd be no influence from the magnetic field (it's parallel to it), so using the Lorentz force we get a simple harmonic motion:

WGosMSm.png

For the radial component, there IS influence from the magnetic field. Lorentz force (the cross product simplifies since the radial component is perpendicular to the field) and simplification into two frequencies (q U0 / (md^2) for wz and q B0 / (mc) for wc:

Qpi4Ujt.png

But now I'm not sure what boundary conditions to apply to simplify the problem. The next step is graphing a trajectory of a particle in this Penning trap but I'm a bit lost on what to do next.

Any direction is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
md.xavier said:
For the radial component, there IS influence from the magnetic field. Lorentz force (the cross product simplifies since the radial component is perpendicular to the field) and simplification into two frequencies (q U0 / (md^2) for wz and q B0 / (mc) for wc:

Qpi4Ujt.png

There's something that doesn't look right to me here.

In the first line that gives the expression for F[##\rho##[t]], doesn't the last term ##\rho## '[t] B0/c represent a component of force in the azimuthal direction rather than the radial direction?

TSny said:
There's something that doesn't look right to me here.

In the first line that gives the expression for F[##\rho##[t]], doesn't the last term ##\rho## '[t] B0/c represent a component of force in the azimuthal direction rather than the radial direction?

That's one thing I'm confused about too. In the place I read about, (it's the second link in my "Relevant equations"), they put the equation of movement in like that. I tried figuring it out but I'm not really sure about it.

So the force would be perpendicular to the particle's tangential velocity and the field, which means it'd be in the direction of radial velocity, no? That's how I perceived it. Since it's Cross[B, v] by definition.

Look at equation 2.11 in your link and note that ρ is a vector in the x-y plane. The second term of the equation is a cross product of vectors.

What is a Penning Trap and how does it work?

A Penning trap is a device used in particle physics to trap charged particles using a combination of electric and magnetic fields. The electric field keeps the particles confined in the trap, while the magnetic field prevents them from escaping by causing them to move in a circular motion.

What are boundary conditions in a Penning Trap?

Boundary conditions refer to the constraints placed on the electric and magnetic fields in a Penning trap. These conditions must be carefully controlled in order to maintain a stable trap and prevent particles from escaping.

Why are boundary conditions important in a Penning Trap?

Boundary conditions are crucial in a Penning trap because they determine the stability and efficiency of the trap. If the conditions are not carefully controlled, particles can escape from the trap, leading to inaccurate experimental results.

What factors affect the boundary conditions in a Penning Trap?

The main factors that affect the boundary conditions in a Penning trap are the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the shape and size of the trap itself. Other factors such as the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment can also have an impact.

How do scientists adjust boundary conditions in a Penning Trap?

Scientists adjust boundary conditions in a Penning trap by carefully calibrating the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the shape and size of the trap. This is typically done through computer simulations and precise adjustments of the trap's components.