Is a Function of Bounded Variation Always Bounded and Integrable?

In summary, f is of bounded variation on [a;b] implies that f is bounded and integrable on [a;b]. The proofs involve using the fact that f is of bounded variation to show that f is bounded and that the Riemann sum can be made arbitrarily small, respectively.
kfdleb

Homework Statement

f is of bounded variation on [a;b] if there exist a number K such that

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{k=1}[/tex]|f(ak)-f(ak-1)| [tex]\leq[/tex]K

a=a_0<a_1<...<a_n=b; the smallest K is the total variation of f

I need to prove that
1) if f is of bounded variation on [a;b] then it is bounded on [a;b]
2) if f is of bounded variation on [a;b], then it is integrable on [a;b]

2. The attempt at a solution

i thought of using triangle inequation such that
0<=|f(b)-f(a)|<=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{k=1}[/tex]|f(ak)-f(ak-1)| [tex]\leq[/tex]K

but I am not really sure how to prove the two statements
any help is really appreciated
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To prove that f is bounded on [a;b], we can use the fact that f is of bounded variation on [a;b]. By definition, this means that there exists a number K such that \sum^{n}_{k=1}|f(ak)-f(ak-1)| \leqK for any partition a=a_0<a_1<...<a_n=b.

Now, let's consider the partition where a=a_0=a_n and a_i=a for all i=1,2,...,n-1. In this case, we have \sum^{n}_{k=1}|f(ak)-f(ak-1)|=|f(b)-f(a)|\leqK. This shows that f is bounded on [a;b] since K is a fixed number.

To prove that f is integrable on [a;b], we can use a similar approach. We know that f is of bounded variation on [a;b], so there exists a number K such that \sum^{n}_{k=1}|f(ak)-f(ak-1)| \leqK for any partition a=a_0<a_1<...<a_n=b.

Now, let's consider the partition where a=a_0=a_n and a_i=a for all i=1,2,...,n-1. In this case, we have \sum^{n}_{k=1}|f(ak)-f(ak-1)|=|f(b)-f(a)|\leqK. This shows that f is integrable on [a;b] since the Riemann sum can be made arbitrarily small by choosing a partition where |f(b)-f(a)| is small.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Is a Function of Bounded Variation Always Bounded and Integrable?

What is a bounded variation function?

A bounded variation function is a mathematical function whose values do not vary too much over a given interval. This means that the total change in the function over any subinterval is limited, or "bounded".

How is bounded variation different from continuity?

Bounded variation and continuity are both ways of measuring the behavior of a function. However, while a bounded variation function can have a few discontinuities, a continuous function must be smooth and have no breaks or jumps. In other words, bounded variation is a less strict requirement than continuity.

Can a function have bounded variation but not be continuous?

Yes, a function can have bounded variation but still have a few discontinuities. An example of this is the function f(x) = 1/x, which has bounded variation on the interval [1,2], but is not continuous at x = 0.

What are some real-world applications of bounded variation functions?

Bounded variation functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with a finite amount of energy or resources. They are also used in economics to represent the limited supply of goods or services. In finance, bounded variation functions can be used to model the fluctuation of stock prices over time.

How is bounded variation used in calculus?

One of the main uses of bounded variation in calculus is to determine the convergence of integrals. If a function has bounded variation on a given interval, then it is known that the integral of the function over that interval will also converge. This can be useful in solving certain types of problems in calculus.