Solve Bouyancy Question: Max People in Crate Before Sinking

• Thread starter Hurr1cane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bouyancy
In summary, a large number of people are on a sinking ship, and decide to use a large crate with an open top as a lifeboat. A physicist in the crowd has been tasked with finding how many people can board the craft before it would sink. She assumes the average person has a mass of 70kg. The crate measures 5metres long by 3metres wide by 2metres high and has a mass of 19 tonnes. How many average people can the crate safely hold before the top will drop below the surface, and water comes comes pouring in? Volume of the crate = 30m^3, (as 5*3*2).Weight of the crate =
Hurr1cane

Homework Statement

A large number of people are on a sinking ship, and decide to use a large crate with an open top as a lifeboat.
A physicist in the crowd has been tasked with finding how many people can board the craft before it would sink. She assumes the average person has a mass of 70kg.
The crate measures 5metres long by 3metres wide by 2metres high and has a mass of 19 tonnes.
How many average people can the crate safely hold before the top will drop below the surface, and water comes comes pouring in?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming that
P=F/A
P=(Rho)gh
(Rho)=m/v
V=lbh
are going to be used somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I've had a lot of problems with this question. None of my classmates, nor myself, have been taught how to do a bouyancy question, and the question above appeared in our homework. I've looked up how to do bouyancy questions on the Internet, with some success. I don't really understand what I'm doing, but this is what I have done so far, but I'm not sure how/where to continue.

Volume of the crate = 30m^3, (as 5*3*2).
Weight of the crate = 186200N, (as 19000kg[19tonnes]*9.8)
Pressure on the bottom of the crate = 12413.33... (as 186200N/15m^2)

This is as far as I've got, and I don't know if I am doing this correctly, and/or where to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the Principle of Archimedes? If you do, state it right now here...

As I've said, my class hasn't been taught how to do bouyancy questions yet. I looked over my Notebook incase I completely forgot about doing it, but there is absoltuely nothing when it comes to bouyancy. When I searched up the Principal on the Internet, it looked to me as if it can only be used for an object that is fully submerged? My question is asking how many people can fit in the crate, before it submerges.

Hurr1cane said:
As I've said, my class hasn't been taught how to do bouyancy questions yet. I looked over my Notebook incase I completely forgot about doing it, but there is absoltuely nothing when it comes to bouyancy. When I searched up the Principal on the Internet, it looked to me as if it can only be used for an object that is fully submerged? My question is asking how many people can fit in the crate, before it submerges.

The principle of Archimedes is applicable to everything that is submerged, either completely or in part, in a fluid. Quote it...

Archemides Principle states that the upward bouyancy force is exerted on a body immersed in liquid, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces.

So, does that mean I need to calculate the weight of the displaces liquid? Do I use the equation:

V= (Normal Weight in air - Weight when in the fluid)/ gp?

If so, that gives me the bouyancy of the object? How do I then go about answering the question?

Yes, the upward bouyancy force is exerted on a body immersed in liquid, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces.

Now imagine that you place the empty crate on he water. It will sink somewhat. Exactly enough to balance its weight

¿What's the volume of water that weighs the same as the empty crate? ¿How much will the empty crate sink when put on the water..?

Okay, I think I get that part... So, because the bouyancy force is equal to the weight of the fluid, I'd use

Fb=gpV, which is 9.8*1.025(Salt water)*30=301.25, which means that the weight of the displaced liquid is 301.25N? Continuing from that, does that make the volume of the water 301.25L?

Hurr1cane said:
Okay, I think I get that part... So, because the bouyancy force is equal to the weight of the fluid, I'd use

Fb=gpV, which is 9.8*1.025(Salt water)*30=301.25, which means that the weight of the displaced liquid is 301.25N? Continuing from that, does that make the volume of the water 301.25L?

The empty crate weighs186200 N.

That's the weight (on the Earth) of a mass of 186200/9,8 = 19000kg.

It's the same as the mass of a volume of 19 m3 of pure water.

But since salt water has a higher density, we would need displacing less volume of liquid in order to float the empty crate: 19 * (1,0000/1,0250) = 18,54 m3

Now, we know the volume that the crate has to displace to stay afloat

¿How much has that crate to sink in order to dispace exactly that volume?

NTW said:
¿How much has that crate to sink in order to dispace exactly that volume?
Well, I assuming that all you do for that is 18.54m3/15m2=1.236m. So, it has sunk 1.236 metres, meaning that 0.764 metres of the crate isn't submerged?

Hurr1cane said:
Well, I assuming that all you do for that is 18.54m3/15m2=1.236m. So, it has sunk 1.236 metres, meaning that 0.764 metres of the crate isn't submerged?

Right...

Those 0,764 meters are an indicator of the 'reserve buoyancy' that you still have. Not its value, but an indicator...

Right... So I'm guessing that you would need to find how many people can be added into the crate? Like, for 1 person, it would be 19*(10070/10250)? =Ans. Then, Ans/15? Then, just continue going until that value goes to 0 or less?

Hurr1cane said:
Right... So I'm guessing that you would need to find how many people can be added into the crate? Like, for 1 person, it would be 19*(10070/10250)? =Ans. Then, Ans/15? Then, just continue going until that value goes to 0 or less?

Once the crate is floating empty, you have 0,764 m left above the water level. If submerged to the rim, the extra displacement will be:

0,764 * 5 * 3 = 11,46 m3. Now you can calculate how much does that volume weighs, in Newtons of course... That will be the 'maximum loading capacity'...

You want to put on board a number of 'average people' with a mass of 70 kg each... You know that means an individual weight of 70 * 9,8 = 686 N

Little is left to find the solution...

Okay, I think I understand it now (hopefully!)

So, 11,46m3 is equivalent to 11460kg. Then, to find the Weight of that, I'd times it by 9.8, giving me 112308N. Then, i'd just divide that by 686?

Hurr1cane said:
Okay, I think I understand it now (hopefully!)

So, 11,46m3 is equivalent to 11460kg. Then, to find the Weight of that, I'd times it by 9.8, giving me 112308N. Then, i'd just divide that by 686?

Precisely...

1. What is buoyancy and how does it affect the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid (such as water) exerts on an object immersed in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. Therefore, the more weight an object has, the more fluid it will displace and the greater the buoyant force will be. This means that the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking is directly related to its buoyancy.

2. How do you calculate the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking based on its buoyancy?

To calculate the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking, you need to know the density of the fluid it will be submerged in, the volume of the crate, and the maximum buoyant force it can withstand before sinking. The formula is: maximum weight = (density of fluid) x (volume of crate) x (maximum buoyant force).

3. What factors can affect the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking?

The maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking can be affected by several factors, including the density of the fluid it is submerged in, the shape and volume of the crate, and the strength and weight-bearing capacity of the materials used to construct the crate.

4. Are there any safety measures that should be taken into consideration when determining the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking?

Yes, it is important to consider safety measures when determining the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking. This includes making sure the crate is properly constructed and can withstand the buoyant forces, as well as taking into account any potential weight shifts or movement of the crate that could affect its stability.

5. Can the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking be increased?

Yes, the maximum weight a crate can hold before sinking can be increased by increasing its buoyancy. This can be achieved by using materials that are less dense than water, such as styrofoam or air-filled compartments within the crate. Additionally, increasing the volume of the crate can also increase its buoyancy and allow it to hold more weight before sinking.