How Does Submarine Buoyancy Affect Its Movement and Stability?

In summary: So, I would guess that the answer is yes, the sub would be traveling at a faster rate underwater because of the reduced buoyancy
sirclash
Bouyancy

Question:
A 3000m^3 submarine of mass, m, is filled with air(density air =1.29kg/m^3) and is floating, submergerd, in seawater(density = 1400kg/m^3)
a) draw diagram.

b) Write an equation that that equates weight of the sub to the buoyant force( include weight of air)?

c) Use the equation to calculate the mass of the sub?

d) what's the apparent weight of the sub?

e)Sub fills with water to reduce the volume of air by 75%, write the equations and find the acceleration? is it B-mg=ma? or am i missing something?

f) how fast is it traveling at 1000 feet?

***thanks in advance!

Relevant Equations:
Bouyancy = density X Volume X Gravity

Attempts at Question:
A)-----i did that-------
B)W=B so i got mg=(bouyancy of sub in water) X (bouyancy of air on top of sub)
C)Then i figured m=V(Pw + Pa) where Pw is density of water and Pa is density of air.
so, m=4203870 kg?
D) i suppose that's just mass x gravity
so, weight= 41197926 kg?
E)This is the part that mostly confuses me, i said Fnet= Bouyancy-Weight =ma
but i feel like somethings missing and I am not sure what the bouyancy would be since there is air still in it.
F)Once i get here i suppose i just use Vf^2=Vi^2 + a(Xf-Xi) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not very clear.
It doesn't say whether the mass of the sub includes the air in it (probably not because of the "include weight of air" in (b).
The air is inside the sub, adding to its mass if that assumption is correct, so (b) would be
weight = buoyancy
(m + Pa*V)g = Pw*V*g
However, this assumes that the entire volume of the sub is air, which is quite impossible. A large part of the volume will be steel, not air.

For (e) I would write mg - buoyancy = ma (taking down to be positive)
and I would calculate m as the answer to (c) minus the mass of .75*V*Pa + .75*V*Pw to account for 75% of the air being replaced by water.

Good luck with this!

Ya, several people i talked to have a problem with this question because it seems so vague. But what i think the question is asking for is basics of this problem, not accounting for everything, which doesn't make much sense in the end.

1. What is buoyancy and how does it affect submarines?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. Submarines use this force to float and control their depth in the water. By controlling their buoyancy, submarines can either rise to the surface or dive deeper into the water.

2. How does the shape of a submarine affect its buoyancy?

The shape of a submarine, specifically its hull, plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. A streamlined hull with a larger surface area will result in more buoyant force, allowing the submarine to float more easily. Submarines also have ballast tanks that can be filled with water to increase their weight and decrease their buoyancy, allowing them to dive deeper into the water.

3. Can a submarine sink or float on its own?

Yes, a submarine can sink or float on its own by adjusting its buoyancy. By filling its ballast tanks with water, the submarine can increase its weight and become more negatively buoyant, causing it to sink. Conversely, by releasing the water from the ballast tanks and filling them with air, the submarine can become more positively buoyant and rise to the surface.

4. How is buoyancy controlled in a submarine?

In modern submarines, buoyancy is controlled by a system of pumps and valves that regulate the flow of water in and out of the ballast tanks. The submarine's crew can also use the submarine's control surfaces, such as the diving planes, to adjust its angle and depth in the water.

5. What factors affect the buoyancy of a submarine?

The buoyancy of a submarine can be affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the vessel, the density of the surrounding water, and any changes in temperature or pressure. These factors can impact the submarine's ability to float, dive, and maneuver in the water.