Box of Mass Friction Problem

In summary, the problem involves two boxes with different masses and coefficients of friction, and the goal is to find the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to the larger box without causing the smaller box to slip off. The solution involves setting equations for net force and kinetic friction equal to each other and solving for acceleration.
Kakateo

Homework Statement

A box with a mass of 2.2 kg sits on top of another box with a mass of 3.8 kg. The coefficient of friction between the two boxes is 0.25, and the coefficient or kinetic friction between the larger box and the horizontal surface is 0.32. Determine the largest horizontal force that can be applied to the larger box so that the smaller box does not slip off.

Homework Equations

Let fs be friction static
Let fs be friction kinetic

Fnet = Fa - Ffk
Fnet = Fa - Ffs

The Attempt at a Solution

I made Fnet for equation #2 0. I isolated each for force applied for each of the equations and set them equal to each other.

My equation before plugging numbers in for variables was this:

Ffk = Fnet + Ffs

I tried expanding the equation then solving for acceleration in which I got a negative value so I know I did something wrong.

I'd like to know the logic behind solving this equation and the process itselfThanks so much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kakateo http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Determine the largest force that can be transferred (via friction) to the top box.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a "Box of Mass Friction Problem"?

A "Box of Mass Friction Problem" refers to a physics problem that involves determining the motion of a box with a certain mass on a surface with a specific friction coefficient.

What is the formula for calculating friction force?

The formula for calculating friction force is Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the friction coefficient, and N is the normal force.

How does the mass of the box affect the friction force?

The mass of the box has no direct effect on the friction force. However, a heavier box may require a greater normal force to keep it in motion, resulting in a higher friction force.

What factors can affect the friction coefficient in a "Box of Mass Friction Problem"?

The friction coefficient can be affected by the type of surface, the materials of the box and surface, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

How can the motion of the box be determined in a "Box of Mass Friction Problem"?

The motion of the box can be determined by using Newton's laws of motion and the formula for calculating friction force. The net force acting on the box can be calculated and used to determine its acceleration and velocity.