BP measurement : is it ok to re-inflate gently around threshold?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, while it is possible to get an accurate reading by squeezing the bulb after crossing the systolic or diastolic thresholds, there are tradeoffs. For some, this can be uncomfortable and if the cuff is inflated too much it can raise blood pressure. It is usually suggested that people use the automated machines at the doctor, rather than trying to do it at home.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is it ok to gently squeeze the bulb just after crossing the systolic or diastolic threshold, just to make sure of the exact value?

Biology news on Phys.org
There are tradeoffs. For some people (me included), the cuff can be a bit uncomfortable, and if it is overinflated or inflated for too long, it raises the blood pressure and interferes with an accurate reading.

When I take manual BPs, I slowly inflate the cuff and listen for the Korotkoff sounds to start and end (on the way up as I increase the cuff pressure). That gives me a pretty good idea of what the BP reading will be, so I only need to go about 5-10mmHg above Systolic before I start releasing pressure. I get the official Systolic and Diastolic numbers on the way down (which is the standard direction to get those numbers).

BTW, you can get automatic BP cuffs that take the pressures on the way up, and are much more gentle than the standard ones that often overinflate by 20mmHg or more. Much more comfortable! :smile:

Likes DeBangis21 and Swamp Thing
Swamp Thing said:
Is it ok to gently squeeze the bulb just after crossing the systolic or diastolic threshold, just to make sure of the exact value?
With the automatic machines which have largely taken over this is probably a bad idea, in fact some will simply go higher still to try and compensate.

It's unlikely you will ever get an exact value, it's always changing depending on a variety of things, and you don't want to become over concerned about the accuracy, that can also distort the results. It's the averages seen over time that provide the most useful information, unless of course you've had an accident or something. It's usually suggested that you will get the most reliable readings (at home) by sitting, supporting the arm at a level similar to heart level, relax, stay still and quiet then start the machine. When it's finished, check the reading and give your arm a rest for at least 5 minutes, then repeat the process. It's usually best to avoid recording your BP after physical activity, eating or drinking (particularly coffee) and it's probably a good idea to be consistent in which arm you use. Take whichever of the two reading is lowest at the measure. Because this can be rather time-consuming, it's usually suggested people record their BP twice a day for 5-7 days, often for diagnosis or following changes in treatment, most people can cope with that.

Drs. do all sorts of variations on this which allows them to use the measures as diagnostic tests for various disorders, but this isn't usually suggested for people doing home measures. Interestingly, your home measures are likely to be the more accurate than the measures done at the Drs. there are too many things going on that cause your BP to rise during a Drs. visit.

Likes DeBangis21, DaveE and Swamp Thing

1. What does "re-inflate gently around threshold" mean in blood pressure measurement?

Re-inflating gently around threshold refers to the practice of slightly increasing the air pressure in the cuff after it has been partially deflated during a blood pressure measurement, specifically when the systolic (top number) pressure is being determined. This technique is used if the initial deflation was too rapid and the first Korotkoff sound (which indicates systolic pressure) was missed or not clearly heard.

2. Is it safe to re-inflate the cuff during a blood pressure measurement?

Yes, it is generally safe to re-inflate the cuff during a blood pressure measurement, but it should be done carefully and not frequently. Over-inflation or frequent re-inflation can cause discomfort or pain to the patient and potentially lead to inaccurate readings. It’s important to ensure that re-inflation is done gently and only as necessary to capture an accurate measurement.

3. How does re-inflating the cuff affect the accuracy of the blood pressure reading?

Re-inflating the cuff can potentially affect the accuracy of the blood pressure reading if not done correctly. If the cuff is re-inflated too much or too frequently, it can temporarily restrict blood flow, which may result in a higher systolic reading. To avoid this, only a small amount of air should be added back to the cuff to reach the pressure level just before the first Korotkoff sound was expected.

4. What is the recommended technique for re-inflating the cuff during blood pressure measurement?

The recommended technique for re-inflating the cuff involves inflating the cuff to a pressure higher than the expected systolic pressure, then deflating it slowly and steadily. If the systolic pressure is missed, one should wait for 15 to 30 seconds before gently re-inflating to just below the level where the last sound was heard, ensuring the process is slow and controlled to accurately capture the systolic reading.

5. Can re-inflating the cuff cause any discomfort or harm to the patient?

While re-inflating the cuff is generally safe, it can cause discomfort or even pain if the cuff is inflated too quickly or too much. Excessive inflation can compress the arm excessively, potentially affecting blood circulation and causing temporary discomfort. It’s essential to monitor the patient's comfort and avoid unnecessary re-inflation to minimize any risk of discomfort or bruising.