Brain Doctor Appointment at Big City Hospital Tomorrow

In summary: I've had a number of MRIs, Woolie, in a pretty small old truck mounted machine. It's no biggie - just listen to all the weird noises, pings, clanging, and...
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have my appointment at the big city hospital tomorrow, first they are going to look see if i have a brain. If i have they are going to try to make it go wrong, i doubt that they can make a few AND and OR gates go wrong some how, but i guess you have to let them play.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to get an MRI, woolie?

lisab said:
Are you going to get an MRI, woolie?

Yes, and EEG, and they are going to make me hyperventilate and flash lights at me.
And i not worried one tiny bit, but i do not like hospitals much.

I've had several MRIs - they aren't too bad. But they take a LOT longer than I expected, and it's very loud in there.

Do you have a tendency to be claustrophobic?

lisab said:
Do you have a tendency to be claustrophobic?

I did not like having to run cables in crawl spaces, but i am sure i will cope okay.

How come you have had many MRI's?

ya I've had all sorts of brain tests. MRI's are just boring but at least there arent any injections. Lisab is right, youre not allowed to fall asleep and you have to remain perfectly still and there's all sorts of crashing and banging, and its all just giant magnets so any metal stuff will fly right in and so you have to be naked under one of those gowns. whew that was quite the run on sentence. Its really quite uneventful. EEG is kind of fun because they stick all these little electrodes on your head and that takes forever but I am sure it looks super science fictiony when its all said and done and then you just follow direction. Again, painless and uneventful.

fileen said:
Again, painless and uneventful.

It might be painless and uneventful, but can you imagine how depressed wolram will be to see those needles drawing nice straight parallel lines down the paper, with barely a wiggle. His EEG is going to look like those seismographs we left on the moon.

tribdog said:
It might be painless and uneventful, but can you imagine how depressed wolram will be to see those needles drawing nice straight parallel lines down the paper, with barely a wiggle. His EEG is going to look like those seismographs we left on the moon.

luckily they don't let you see the results

wolram said:
I did not like having to run cables in crawl spaces, but i am sure i will cope okay.

How come you have had many MRI's?

A couple years ago, I had symptoms of multiple sclerosis. It was really scary - that's a terrible disease!

But I checked out OK, and the symptoms eventually went away by themselves. I sure did have to go through a bunch of tests, though...!

How long do you have to stay in the MRI machine?

tribdog said:

True, when i got electrocuted and did not die they said ,where there is no sense there is no feeling.

they have open MRI machines now too.
Don't you think its going to be cool? they are going to use light to knock you out. How cool is that. I'd like to see how they can do that. The closest I've ever come to anything like that was when a flashlight rolled off a shelf and gave me a concussion.

wolram said:
How long do you have to stay in the MRI machine?

The longest test I had was over an hour.

First they did a whole series of scans - they can take as long as 5 minutes each. Then they pulled me out, gave me an injection of a contrast agent (I think it was gadolinium), and did the whole thing over again!

lisab said:
A couple years ago, I had symptoms of multiple sclerosis. It was really scary - that's a terrible disease!

But I checked out OK, and the symptoms eventually went away by themselves. I sure did have to go through a bunch of tests, though...!

Cor blimey, i bet you were happy, that's enough to scare the pants off any one.

lisab said:
The longest test I had was over an hour.

First they did a whole series of scans - they can take as long as 5 minutes each. Then they pulled me out, gave me an injection of a contrast agent (I think it was gadolinium), and did the whole thing over again!

gadolinium? you made that up.

I've had a number of MRIs, Woolie, in a pretty small old truck mounted machine. It's no biggie - just listen to all the weird noises, pings, clanging, and stuff, and try to make mental music with it. I hate techno, so my "music" was pretty strained.

wolram said:
Cor blimey, i bet you were happy, that's enough to scare the pants off any one.

When I got the news I didn't have MS I walked on air for...well I still am, after all these years :smile: !

tribdog said:
gadolinium? you made that up.

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/Gadolinium.html" :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/Gadolinium.html" :tongue2:
Oh, yeah? They shot me up with dilithium salts. I can still achieve warp speeds from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed all the tests, then disgaced myself by having an episode afterwards, i feel like these guys are wanting to pin some thing on me, even if they cause it.

wolram said:
I passed all the tests, then disgaced myself by having an episode afterwards, i feel like these guys are wanting to pin some thing on me, even if they cause it.

Were you in the presence of the doctors when it happened?

Good grief Wolram, I hope it was in fron of the doctors.

lisab said:
Were you in the presence of the doctors when it happened?

Yes that is what stinks, caus i can not get out of it, i sure hate myself for this momentary weakness.

Are you worried they are going to take your drivers license away?

I hate brain doctors. Their answers are always the same, "we don't know what the hell is wrong with you, but we can give you some seizure medication though". Then they send you $1,000 is medical bills AFTER your insurance covers 95% of the tab even though they did absolutely nothing to help you.

wolram said:
No disgrace. If you have a medical disability of some sort, one of the first things you must do is refuse to blame yourself. If your body is getting quirky, you've got to learn to come to terms with it (if you can) and try to minimize your risks until, hopefully, the docs can sort out what's happening. My little brother has epilepsy, and I have fragrance-induced migraines, respiratory problems and acute hypertension (after exposure). I also go into anaphylactic shock if I eat or drink anything with free glutamates in it. My brother's epilepsy is controlled with medication and he has been driving, working in industrial settings, etc for years. As for me, now you know why I live 'way out in the country and try to grow most of my food.

For a few years after the MSG and fragrance problems came on, I apologized to family members, etc when I couldn't participate in pot-lucks (except to eat my own cooking and that of my wife) and eventually had to back out of most family get-togethers, since some members of my family thought that they could "slide through" wearing "some" fragrances or wearing clothing with fragranced fabric softeners, etc. An hour or two with family is NOT worth several hours in the ER, and the pressures that all that puts on my wife. We stay home a lot. At first I blamed myself for putting my wife in an uncomfortable social/family situation when we had to decline invitations. Not anymore. My mother died of sudden cardio-pulmonary collapse when I was 28 and my little brother was 5, and I'm not going to die off on my wife due to carelessness, pride, or guilt-driven assumption of risk.

Take care of yourself, friend, and keep trying to cooperate with the neurologists until they can get you some help, or at least guidance.

Topher925 said:
Then they send you $1,000 is medical bills AFTER your insurance covers 95% of the tab even though they did absolutely nothing to help you.

Luckily we have the NHS. :smile:

Hope you get fixed soon wolram.

Kurdt said:
Luckily we have the NHS. :smile:

Hope you get fixed soon wolram.

lol. yeah, he needs to be fixed

tribdog said:
lol. yeah, he needs to be fixed
Yep! Wolram needs to be fixed, and you need to be put down.

Really, feel no shame in exhibiting your problem in front of your Doctor. Believe me, they have seen so much worse. Matters of the brain can be very difficult. What they tend do is rule out, what its not.

Wolram, it could be something that can be easily controlled with the proper medication. Hopefully, they will figure it out soon.

Honestly, I think that's the best outcome possible, Wollie, that it happened in front of your doctors so they can see exactly what is going on. Sure, better if you were still all hooked up to the gizmos and gadgets so they could get more information, but sometimes just seeing what is happening is a big leap in diagnosis of something like that.

I started writing a post saying that you got exactly what the doctors were looking for. The best possible outcome. to say you felt disgraced by it sounds like a cry for sympathy. I thought maybe it was a mean thing for me to say it, but then I thought about it a bit more. If you aren't happy for getting what you wanted then you must be spoiled rotten and I shouldn't feel bad for being mean to you.

So what's next, Wolly? What did they say?

Math Is Hard said:
So what's next, Wolly? What did they say?

I am not sure yet MIH, there is some thing triggering spasms in my right arm, and grey out, unfortunately the consultant was no where to be found to give a diagnosis, one good thing is the MRI scan did not show any thing bad.

Tribdog, i hate sympathy i tend to keep away from people if ever i am ill, i do not even count this as an illness, just damned nuisance.

1. What should I expect during my brain doctor appointment?

During your brain doctor appointment, you can expect to undergo a series of tests and evaluations to assess your brain health. This may include physical exams, cognitive tests, and imaging scans. Your doctor will also discuss your medical history and any symptoms you may be experiencing.

2. How should I prepare for my brain doctor appointment?

It is important to prepare for your brain doctor appointment by gathering any relevant medical records and writing down any symptoms or concerns you have. You may also want to bring a list of any medications you are currently taking. It is also recommended to have a family member or friend accompany you to the appointment for support and to help remember any important information.

3. What types of conditions can a brain doctor diagnose and treat?

A brain doctor, also known as a neurologist, can diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions related to the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system. This includes conditions such as stroke, epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and multiple sclerosis, among others.

4. What are the common treatments for brain conditions?

The treatment for a brain condition will vary depending on the specific diagnosis and severity of the condition. Some common treatments may include medication, physical therapy, cognitive therapy, and surgery. Your brain doctor will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan based on your individual needs.

5. What should I do if I have questions or concerns after my brain doctor appointment?

If you have any questions or concerns after your brain doctor appointment, it is important to reach out to your doctor or their office. They can provide clarification and address any concerns you may have. It is also recommended to follow any instructions or treatment plans provided by your doctor and to schedule a follow-up appointment if necessary.