Bra's and Ket's independent of basis?

In summary, bra's and ket's in Dirac notation are independent of bases, meaning that they do not need a specific basis for their definition. This can be confusing when thinking about them as vectors, but it is important to understand that they are basis-independent concepts. Their components may depend on the basis, but the ket or bra itself does not. This is similar to the relationship between a vector and its components in a specific coordinate system. Delving into Rigged Hilbert Spaces may offer more insight, but it is not recommended for beginners. A good resource for understanding this concept is chapter 1 of Ballentine.
Nathew
I'm just learning about the whole Dirac notation stuff and I have come across the fact that bra's and ket's are somehow independent of bases. Or rather that they do not need the specification of a basis. I really don't understand this from a vector point of view. Maybe that is the problem, should I not be thinking about these like vectors?
E.g. I understand that [itex]\mathbf e_i[/itex] needs a basis, but for some reason [itex]\mid e_i \rangle[/itex] doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably meant in the sense that a ket is a basis-independent concept as opposed to, for instance, its components in some particular basis, i.e., you can expand a ket vector as something like ##\lvert \psi \rangle = \sum_{k} c_{k} \lvert k \rangle## (or e.g. ##\lvert \psi \rangle = \int \mathrm{d}x \, \psi(x) \lvert x \rangle## in the continuous case). The components ##c_{k}## (or ##\psi(x)##) depend on the particular basis, but the ket ##\lvert \psi \rangle## does not.

It's the same thing as with the relation between (say) a Euclidean vector ##\bar{u}## and its expression as a list of components ##[u_{x}, u_{y}, u_{z}]## in some given Cartesian coordinate system.

Nathew said:
Maybe that is the problem, should I not be thinking about these like vectors?

They are vectors - but its a bit subtler than what you likely have come across in linear algebra due to the fact they have an infinite basis.

Its full elucidation comes when you delve into the advanced area of Rigged Hilbert Spaces - but that is not recommended for beginners. As an introduction see chapter 1 of Ballentine.

Thanks
Bill

1. What are Bra's and Ket's independent of basis?

Bra's and Ket's are mathematical objects used in the theory of quantum mechanics. They represent the states of a quantum system, with the bra representing a state vector that is dual to the ket.

2. What is the difference between a Bra and a Ket?

The main difference between a Bra and a Ket is their mathematical representation. A Bra is denoted by <A|, while a Ket is denoted by |A>. The Bra represents the dual vector to the Ket, and they both represent the same quantum state.

3. How are Bra's and Ket's used in quantum mechanics?

Bra's and Ket's are used to represent the states of a quantum system, as well as the operators that act on those states. They are also used in calculating probabilities and expectation values in quantum mechanics.

4. Can Bra's and Ket's be independent of basis?

Yes, Bra's and Ket's can be independent of basis. This means that they can be represented in any basis, and their physical meaning remains unchanged. The basis independence of Bra's and Ket's is one of the key principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How do Bra's and Ket's relate to each other?

Bra's and Ket's are related by the inner product, which is denoted by <A|B>. This inner product takes a Bra and a Ket and produces a complex number, representing the probability amplitude of measuring the state |A> in the state |B>. The inner product is also used to calculate the expectation values of quantum mechanical operators.