Bravais Lattices: Crystal Structure and Unit Cell Volumes

• Thread starter raintrek
  • Start date
Your Name]In summary, the given crystal has a primitive cubic structure with one atom per lattice point and the translation vectors of a = 3i, b = 3j, and c = 1.5(i+j+k). The Bravais lattice type is determined by the arrangement of the lattice points, not just the translation vectors, and in this case is cubic. The conventional unit cell volume is 8 times the primitive unit cell volume, which has been calculated to be 13.5.
raintrek

Homework Statement

A crystal has a basis of one atom per lattice point and a set of primitive translation vectors of

a = 3i, b = 3j, c = 1.5(i+j+k)

where i,j,k are unit vectors in the x,y,z directions of a Cartesian coordinate system. What is the Bravais lattice type of this crystal and what are the volumes of the primitive and conventional unit cells?

Homework Equations

Primitive unit cell volume V = a . (b x c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm slightly unsure about these Bravais lattices given the multiple permutations they can seem to take.

My assumption, as [tex]a=b\neq c[/tex] is that it's Hexagonal. However that also requires that [tex]\alpha=\beta=90^{o},\gamma=120^{o}[/tex], where gamma is the angle between a,b, alpha between b,c, beta between c,a. But that seems to contradict that the a,b vectors are in i,j directions, ie at 90 degrees. Am I missing something here!?

I've worked out the primitive unit cell volume to be 13.5, however I'm also at a loss how to calculate the conventional unit cell volume...

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, the given translation vectors do not necessarily mean that the crystal is hexagonal. The Bravais lattice type is determined by the arrangement of the lattice points, not just the translation vectors. In this case, the crystal has a primitive cubic structure, as there is one atom per lattice point and the translation vectors are all of equal length and at right angles to each other.

Secondly, the angles between the translation vectors are not necessarily the angles between the corresponding unit vectors in the Cartesian coordinate system. The angles between the translation vectors are determined by the crystal's symmetry, which in this case is cubic, and not by the coordinate system.

As for the conventional unit cell volume, it is simply the primitive unit cell volume multiplied by the number of atoms in the conventional unit cell. In this case, the conventional unit cell contains 8 lattice points, each with one atom, so the conventional unit cell volume would be 8 times the primitive unit cell volume.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of this crystal's structure and unit cell volumes. Keep up the good work in your studies of crystallography!

1. What are Bravais lattices?

Bravais lattices are a way of describing the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal lattice. They are named after Auguste Bravais, a French physicist who first described the 14 possible arrangements in 1848.

2. How many Bravais lattices are there?

There are 14 Bravais lattices, which are grouped into seven crystal systems based on their symmetry. These systems include cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, trigonal, hexagonal, monoclinic, and triclinic lattices.

3. What determines the type of Bravais lattice in a crystal?

The type of Bravais lattice is determined by the arrangement of the atoms or molecules within the unit cell of the crystal. The unit cell is the smallest repeating unit of the crystal lattice, and it can have different shapes and sizes depending on the type of lattice.

4. What is the difference between a primitive and a centered Bravais lattice?

A primitive Bravais lattice has lattice points only at the corners of the unit cell, while a centered Bravais lattice has additional lattice points at the center of the cell or on the faces of the cell. Centering can happen in one, two, or three dimensions, resulting in different types of centered lattices.

5. Why are Bravais lattices important in crystallography?

Bravais lattices provide a systematic way of describing the arrangement of atoms or molecules in crystals. This is crucial in understanding the physical and chemical properties of materials, as well as in predicting their behavior under different conditions. Bravais lattices also help in identifying and classifying different types of crystals.