Breaching Europas Subsurface Ocean

• Thread starter jaboma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ocean
In summary: Not so. At Martian temperatures of about 200 K in its outer layers, the speed of oxygen is less than 500 m/s while the escape velocity is 4.5 km/s. Thus the atmosphere is stable against thermal escape. The solar wind can rip bits of the atmosphere away, but the rate of loss is very low. In the first aeon after the planets formed the solar wind and the sun's Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) levels were much, much higher and that's probably what eroded the original Martian atmosphere.
jaboma
europa is the prime candidate in our solar system to harbor some kind of life. most probably microbial but nonetheless very exciting stuff. what the hell is NASA doing.

apparently there is a europa Jupiter system mission but it just involves flybys and mapping the moons. why not go all out and breach europas surface.

check this out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryobot

now how amazing would it be to send this probe with cameras as it travels through europas ocean with us being able to watch a live feed of discovering potential life.

isnt this what NASA should be doing? or maybe i don't know how it all works. is it harder than it seems?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jaboma said:
europa is the prime candidate in our solar system to harbor some kind of life. most probably microbial but nonetheless very exciting stuff. what the hell is NASA doing.

apparently there is a europa Jupiter system mission but it just involves flybys and mapping the moons. why not go all out and breach europas surface.

check this out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryobot

now how amazing would it be to send this probe with cameras as it travels through europas ocean with us being able to watch a live feed of discovering potential life.

isnt this what NASA should be doing? or maybe i don't know how it all works. is it harder than it seems?

I once gave a speech about how Mars could eventually be Terra formed and the only reaction I got was "Who's going to finance that?" Money given to NASA is very little in comparison with what the military gets. That;why they have to go slow Moe fashion. If the government gave NASA more money then how will it wage its war in the Far East or keep its military edge with which intimidate and get its way? The only solution to this slow Moe modus operandi is when private enterprise gets heavily involved. Only then will we see a true effort at space exploration.

jaboma said:
europa is the prime candidate in our solar system to harbor some kind of life. most probably microbial but nonetheless very exciting stuff. what the hell is NASA doing...snip... isn't this what NASA should be doing? or maybe i don't know how it all works. is it harder than it seems?

One problem with breaking in is contamination. Earth bugs are surprisingly resilient. Indirect detection will be better - at first - before going all out and trying to break ice. Maybe there is no ocean? We need to find out, preferably while learning more about the other moons and Jupiter too. JIMO would've been nice - if the Gov't had been serious about nuke-power in space.

I think the greatest problem on Europa would be actually getting through the ice sheet at all - after all, it is 10km thick and the deepest mine on Earth is only ~4km deep.

And as graal said, contamination is an enormous risk, we wouldn;t want to go wiping out any life we find! Although tbh, I think Europan microbes would be much better adapted to living on Europa and so would easily out compete anything from Earth.

@Radrook, I thought Mars couldn't be terraformed because due to its low gravity, its escape velocity is less than the average velocity of an oxygen molecule, which would cause a lot of the atmosphere to leak into space.

Kracatoan said:
@Radrook, I thought Mars couldn't be terraformed because due to its low gravity, its escape velocity is less than the average velocity of an oxygen molecule, which would cause a lot of the atmosphere to leak into space.

Not so. At Martian temperatures of about 200 K in its outer layers, the speed of oxygen is less than 500 m/s while the escape velocity is 4.5 km/s. Thus the atmosphere is stable against thermal escape. The solar wind can rip bits of the atmosphere away, but the rate of loss is very low. In the first aeon after the planets formed the solar wind and the sun's Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) levels were much, much higher and that's probably what eroded the original Martian atmosphere.

1. How do scientists know Europa has a subsurface ocean?

Scientists have used various methods to study Europa's surface and determine the presence of a subsurface ocean. One method is through observations made by the Galileo spacecraft, which detected magnetic fields and gravitational anomalies consistent with the existence of a subsurface ocean. Additionally, the surface of Europa shows evidence of geological activity, such as cracks and ridges, which could be caused by the movement of an underlying ocean.

2. What makes Europa's subsurface ocean unique?

Europa's subsurface ocean is unique because it is believed to be the most likely place in our solar system, apart from Earth, to have the conditions necessary for life to exist. The ocean is thought to be composed of salty water and may contain energy sources and organic compounds necessary for life to develop.

3. How deep is Europa's subsurface ocean?

The exact depth of Europa's subsurface ocean is unknown, but it is estimated to be at least 62 miles (100 kilometers) deep. This is based on measurements of the moon's gravitational field, which suggest a large body of liquid water below the surface.

4. How do scientists plan to study Europa's subsurface ocean?

There are several proposed missions to study Europa's subsurface ocean, including the Europa Clipper mission by NASA and the JUpiter ICy moons Explorer (JUICE) mission by the European Space Agency. These missions will use a combination of instruments, such as radar, spectrometers, and cameras, to gather data on Europa's surface and potentially even sample its subsurface ocean.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering life in Europa's subsurface ocean?

If life is discovered in Europa's subsurface ocean, it would have profound implications for our understanding of the universe and the possibility of life beyond Earth. It could also provide insights into the origins of life and how it may have evolved in different environments. Additionally, studying life in Europa's ocean could also inform our search for habitable environments on other moons and planets in our solar system.