Breaking an Ionic Bond-Atom Charge & Electron Config

• Thread starter ProjectFringe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond Ionic
In summary, when an ionic bond is broken to form a new compound, the atoms do not revert back to their original form. Instead, they retain their charge and form a new bond with a different partner. However, under certain conditions, ions can exist on their own through a process called dissociation. This explains how ionic substances can dissociate in solutions and then reform when the solution dries out.
ProjectFringe
When breaking an ionic bond in order to form a new compound, do the atoms retain their charge (new electron configuration) or revert back to their original form before creating a new bond with a new partner?

Are all ions in a bond of some type or can they exist freely on their own?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you heard about dissociation?

Likes ProjectFringe
@Borek I hadn't, but I just looked it up and I guess ions can exist on their own under certain conditions. So I'm guessing that means that typically they revert back. Is that correct?

No, for most of the time ion stays itself. That's why/how ionic substances can dissociate in solutions and then get "recreated" when the solution dries out.

Likes ProjectFringe

1. How does an ionic bond form between atoms?

An ionic bond forms when one atom donates electrons to another atom, resulting in a positively charged ion and a negatively charged ion. The opposite charges then attract each other, forming the bond.

2. What is an atom's charge in an ionic bond?

In an ionic bond, one atom will have a positive charge and the other will have a negative charge. This is due to the transfer of electrons from one atom to the other.

3. Can an ionic bond be broken?

Yes, an ionic bond can be broken through a process called dissociation. This occurs when the bond between the positively and negatively charged ions is weakened or disrupted, causing them to separate.

4. What happens to the electron configuration when an ionic bond is broken?

When an ionic bond is broken, the electron configuration of the atoms involved returns to its original state. This means that the electrons that were donated or received in the bond return to their respective atoms.

5. How does the strength of an ionic bond compare to other types of bonds?

An ionic bond is generally considered to be stronger than a covalent bond, but weaker than a metallic bond. This is because the attraction between the positive and negative ions in an ionic bond is strong, but not as strong as the sharing of electrons in a covalent bond or the delocalized electrons in a metallic bond.