Bridge Aerodynamics Project Ideas

In summary: Do you even have a model yet? In summary, the student is asking for help narrowing down a project to work on in the wind tunnel. He has a lot of resources and free time, but wants to make sure the project is still within a reasonable parameter of difficulty.
FredGarvin said:
Do you have to stick with bridges? That seems like a tough model to make accurately. Can you switch it to something easier like smoke stacks? Then you could really get into shape variations easily and you could see real Von Karman vortex shedding in action.

I completely agree, I don't want to overextend myself in terms of just getting the model built; however, it seems like if I were to do something like smoke stacks (i.e. focusing more on the flow phenomena than on the structure itself), that would be creeping into fluid mechanics, an area in which I have absolutely no experience (Remember, high school here, I'm in the most advanced calculus class I can take but we're still just now learning improper rational integration).

What I like about the bridge idea is that I can definitely form some kind of hypothesis (the traffic density/speed across the bridge has x effect on the bridge's flutter/vortex trail/etc.), even at this stage, and precision model construction is an area of particular expertise for me.

FredGarvin said:
The thing that is going to eat up a lot of time is your proof that your model is not going to harm the tunnel at the flows you expect.

Are you saying that I'll have to prove the strength of my model? I'm not sure I know how to do that o_O I mean, I know for certain that I can build a model that is more than strong enough (built a 6-ounce balsa wood bridge that withstood 70 vertical pounds), but I wouldn't know how to theoretically prove it. Again, this isn't like a separate tunnel facility or anything, it's just a big ol' thing built into the engineering department.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Right now, I'm thinking of mapping the airflow (by whatever "mapping" methods I can find) over the cross section of the empty bridge, then progressively imposing traffic (possibly moving, if I can find a way to do that) and observing the effects of the added bluff bodies. Sound decent?

If this is totally bunk, please let me know, I have no time to lose and I would really appreciate it :)

for the bridge models, could you purchase model train kits and assemble those.
you can get some very nicely detailed plastic kits in scales starting at N scale (1:160) to G scale (1:22.5) this would mean accelerated model completion, based upon actual prototype bridges.

good luck
(and as a fellow procrastinator let me say...ahhh i'll tell you tomorrow)

dr

dr dodge said:
for the bridge models, could you purchase model train kits and assemble those.
you can get some very nicely detailed plastic kits in scales starting at N scale (1:160) to G scale (1:22.5) this would mean accelerated model completion, based upon actual prototype bridges.

good luck
(and as a fellow procrastinator let me say...ahhh i'll tell you tomorrow)

dr

How is that going to span across a 6' WT?

Why would you have to span the whole 6'?,
If you can work in smaller scale (vs 1:1)
6' in 1:22.5 gives you a 135 ft bridge
in 1:160 that's 960 ft.
stryofoam for the "terraformed" approaches, and now you have a complete structure, based upon an actual prototype, so the experiment has meaning, and can be compared with actual results.
here is a link to some actual bridges

dr
http://bridgehunter.com/category/tag/span-length-500-1000-feet/