Brightness change with temperature

In summary, the black body will be initially brighter than the yellow body, but eventually both will have the same brightness.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A black and yellow body at room temperature are thrown into a furnace at very high temperature. How will the initial and final brightness of both compare?

Homework Equations

λT=constant

The Attempt at a Solution

The rise in the black body's temperature will be higher initially, finally both will have the same temperature so the wavelength of light they emit will be initially lower for the black body and the same finally but the brightness is the number of photons not their energy so how do we deduce the brightness from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

A black and yellow body at room temperature are thrown into a furnace at very high temperature. How will the initial and final brightness of both compare?

Homework Equations

λT=constant

The Attempt at a Solution

The rise in the black body's temperature will be higher initially, finally both will have the same temperature so the wavelength of light they emit will be initially lower for the black body and the same finally but the brightness is the number of photons not their energy so how do we deduce the brightness from this?
The question is a bit ambiguous but I think you are to asked to compare the relative brightness of the bodies at the following times: 1. before being put into the furnace and 2. after they have been placed in the furnace and have reached thermal equilibrium with the furnace. At both times, the bodies would have the same temperature.

What is the relationship between temperature and rate at which a black body radiates energy? How does emissivity of a body affect a body's rate of radiation emission compared to the rate of emission for a black body at the same temperature? How does the emissivity of the yellow body compare to that of a black body?

AM

Likes CWatters
Andrew Mason said:
The question is a bit ambiguous but I think you are to asked to compare the relative brightness of the bodies at the following times: 1. before being put into the furnace and 2. after they have been placed in the furnace and have reached thermal equilibrium with the furnace. At both times, the bodies would have the same temperature.

What is the relationship between temperature and rate at which a black body radiates energy? How does emissivity of a body affect a body's rate of radiation emission compared to the rate of emission for a black body at the same temperature? How does the emissivity of the yellow body compare to that of a black body?

AM
I thought we were being asked to compare it just after they've been thrown into the furnace and after they've achieved thermal equilibrium (judging from the options in my book).
The formula is σεAT^4. ε for black body is 1 and for yellow body is lower. Since the black body gains temperature faster and also has a higher emissivity it should always be brighter but the answer given is initially yellow is brighter and finally both have same brightness

someone there?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I thought we were being asked to compare it just after they've been thrown into the furnace and after they've achieved thermal equilibrium (judging from the options in my book).
The formula is σεAT^4. ε for black body is 1 and for yellow body is lower. Since the black body gains temperature faster and also has a higher emissivity it should always be brighter but the answer given is initially yellow is brighter and finally both have same brightness
I am confused by the term "yellow body". How is it defined? Either that or I am confused by the term "brightness". It does not appear to be same as radiation power.

AM

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
Andrew Mason said:
I am confused by the term "yellow body". How is it defined? Either that or I am confused by the term "brightness". It does not appear to be same as radiation power.

AM
I really have no clue. These are the very reasons I can't solve this problem

Oh, well. No point to keep discussing an ambiguous question- but I still learned a lot from what @Andrew Mason said, thank you for that :D

1. What is the relationship between brightness and temperature?

The relationship between brightness and temperature is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the brightness of an object is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the brightness also increases.

2. Why does brightness change with temperature?

Brightness changes with temperature because as an object's temperature increases, the atoms and molecules within the object move faster and emit more light. This increase in movement and energy results in a higher level of brightness.

3. How does the color of an object affect its brightness with temperature?

The color of an object does not have a direct impact on its brightness with temperature. However, darker objects tend to absorb more heat and therefore can become brighter at higher temperatures compared to lighter objects.

4. What factors can affect the brightness-temperature relationship?

Factors that can affect the brightness-temperature relationship include the material of the object, the object's size and shape, and the object's surface properties. These factors can impact how efficiently the object absorbs and emits light, thus affecting its brightness at different temperatures.

5. Can the brightness-temperature relationship be applied to all objects?

No, the brightness-temperature relationship is most applicable to objects that emit thermal radiation, such as stars and other celestial bodies. It may not accurately apply to objects that produce light through other means, such as artificial lighting sources.