Brightness of lightbulb concept questions

In summary, the brightness of a lightbulb is directly related to the current passing through it. However, this relationship can be misleading as increasing the resistance would decrease the current, and therefore decrease the brightness. This is due to the release of electron kinetic energy, which generates heat and can potentially damage the lightbulb. The true determining factor for brightness is the power (P) which is proportional to the square of the current (I) when the resistance (R) is constant. This means that increasing the current will result in a brighter lightbulb.
jakeddong
So I googled and found out that brightness of a lightbulb is directly related to current, but for some reason it doesn't match the concept I have in my head.

I know that a lightbulb gets brighter as it gets hotter (like any kind of metal)
So for a lightbulb to get brighter, it needs more energy(for heating)
However this energy comes from the loss of kinetic energy of electrons as they pass through the resistors.
So if you increase the resistance, your lightbulb should get hotter and brighter because electrons lose more kinetic energy at higher resistance.
But according to the formula V=IR, if you increase resistance, the current decreases, which doesn't fit with what I found through google.

Could you tell me what is wrong in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true that increasing the resistance to current would increase the brightness of the filament glow as it undergoes blackbody radiation. Yet the heat generated from the release of electron kinetic energy would be tremendous and instantly snuff out the part where it is connected. The reason why current would drop was because it did not even travel through the conductor due to resistance.

The reason that the brightness would increase with current comes from the equation

P= I^2*R
making P proportional to I if R constant

as long as your resistance remains constant, the determinant factor would be current.

That's what I have in mind though

1. What is the definition of brightness?

Brightness is the visual perception of how much light is emitted from a source, such as a lightbulb.

2. How is brightness measured?

Brightness is typically measured in lumens, which is a unit of measurement for the amount of light emitted from a source. The higher the number of lumens, the brighter the light.

3. What factors affect the brightness of a lightbulb?

The brightness of a lightbulb can be affected by several factors, including the wattage of the bulb, the type of bulb (incandescent, LED, etc.), and the quality and condition of the bulb.

4. How does the color temperature of a lightbulb impact its brightness?

The color temperature of a lightbulb, measured in Kelvin, can affect the perceived brightness of a bulb. A higher color temperature (5000K or above) can make a lightbulb appear brighter, while a lower color temperature (2700K or below) can make a lightbulb appear dimmer.

5. Is there a difference in brightness between different types of lightbulbs?

Yes, there can be a difference in brightness between different types of lightbulbs. For example, an LED bulb may appear brighter than an incandescent bulb with the same wattage. This is because LED bulbs are more energy-efficient and can produce the same amount of light with less energy.