Understanding Resistance and Current in Ohmic and Non-Ohmic Components

• Thread starter TreesGoBark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to resistance and current in circuits. It is determined that the graph may appear linear but is actually non-ohmic due to the use of a component with an emf, causing the resistance to decrease despite an increase in voltage. The second question involves a comparison between two circuits and the use of a variable resistor to control current. It is clarified that the variable resistor has no effect on current in a circuit with a voltage source. Option D is incorrect because it does not account for the lack of current below a certain voltage.
TreesGoBark

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.38.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.38.12 AM.png

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I understand that mathematically, the resistance is decreasing even though the graph is linear (R = V/I, and this ratio decreases with every increase in V). However, I don't understand why this is non-ohmic even if the graph is a linear one. Isn't point Vo the value of emf of the component? Why would having an emf (which shifts the graph to the right) make the resistance decrease? Also, why is option D wrong? (The answer is B).

For the second question, my reasoning for picking C is that by varying the resistance of the variable resistor, you can decide how much current to split into each branch (more resistance = less current into the variable resistor branch = more current into the lightbulb branch). However, the answer is A. I truly don't get this - wouldn't the lightbulb in A receive the same current no matter what the value of resistance of the variable resistor? Because even though the current splits up into the resistor branch and the variable resistor branch, they would join back together before reaching the lightbulb. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
TreesGoBark said:
However, I don't understand why this is non-ohmic
It is non-ohmic because to achieve it you cannot use just a passive fixed resistor. You would have to use something like a zener diode in series with a fixed resistor. The resistor is ohmic but the total circuit isn't (if it were the graph would be angled up starting at the origin).

For the second question, my reasoning for picking C is that by varying the resistance of the variable resistor, you can decide how much current to split into each branch
That would be great if the power source were a current source but it isn't. It's a voltage source and the variable resistor in C has NO effect at all on the current that goes through the lamp.

And by the way, please don't shout (using all bold is shouting)

Likes TreesGoBark
D is wrong because below V0 there is a voltage but no current. So the resistance is infinite not zero.

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and is influenced by factors such as the material's composition, temperature, and dimensions.

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

What is an ohmic component?

An ohmic component is a material or device that follows Ohm's Law, meaning that its resistance remains constant regardless of the applied voltage. Examples of ohmic components include most metals and pure resistors.

What is a non-ohmic component?

A non-ohmic component is a material or device that does not follow Ohm's Law, meaning that its resistance changes with the applied voltage. Examples of non-ohmic components include diodes and transistors.

How do I calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented as R = V/I, with the unit of measurement being ohms (Ω).