Brushing up for Calc 3 - Concerns

• Thread starter torquemada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 3
In summary: I can only speak from my own experience. It's not surprising that different people will have differing opinions on Calculus III.
torquemada
Hi I wanted to take calc 3 this summer and i want to start brushing up as I took calc 2 back in spring 08. I was wondering if there are infinite series in a typical calc 3 course? If so I need to brush up on them. Also concerning the laundry list of different integration techniques for the indefinite integral that we grinded through in calc 2 (partial fractions, u substitution, ad nauseum) - is it important to know all of those techniques cold for calc 3? Or is the general concept of the integral enough? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've seen, Calculus III generally doesn't include any complicated integration techniques (which is a bit unfortunate, really). It's often likened to Calc I, which is an apt comparison because much of the material basically IS Calc I material in three dimensions (generally with the addition of vector calculus). It's harder than Calc II, but you shouldn't need more than Calc I knowledge to understand the class.

As for sequences and series, no, they're not included either. But then, that material really falls more under analysis than calculus anyway.

Chaostamer said:
From what I've seen, Calculus III generally doesn't include any complicated integration techniques (which is a bit unfortunate, really).

Thanks for the insight. I was wondering additionally, my laziness aside, why is this unfortunate?

torquemada said:
Thanks for the insight. I was wondering additionally, my laziness aside, why is this unfortunate?

What Chaostamer said sounds about right, however in my calc 3 class we did have plenty of examples where u-sub, integration by parts, etc. It wasn't quite as frequent as calc 2, but you should still be familiar with these techniques in general. Calc 3 really is quite different than 1 and 2. You will find that setting up your integrals will be the hardest part, and solving should be the easier part.

I really liked Calc 2 but I currently really hate Calc 3, though we haven't even gotten to any multivariable calculus (and I have my doubts that we will even get too far). Its all been studying 3D space (planes, surfaces, etc) and vector valued functions.

I would take a look at some old calc stuff but the important thing is to realize when to use those techniques rather than how to use them. Its easy to look up something in a book if you know what you are looking for. I only took calc 2 last semester but find myself referencing some of those techniques that I've already forgotten how to do. (Though I do it mostly for my ODE class and not Calc3)

The only hard part about calc3 integrals is setting the limits of integration. After that it's pretty straight forward.

Like was already stated Calc 3 is mostly 3-dimensional calculus. In my course, there were no more infinite series. You learn some new vector operations (dot and cross product), a few other new operations (curl, gradient, etc.), double and triple integrals, but no new real integration techniques like calc 2. Personally I thought it was much easier than calc 2.

S_Happens said:
Like was already stated Calc 3 is mostly 3-dimensional calculus. In my course, there were no more infinite series. You learn some new vector operations (dot and cross product), a few other new operations (curl, gradient, etc.), double and triple integrals, but no new real integration techniques like calc 2. Personally I thought it was much easier than calc 2.

I'll never understand that mindset. To me, Calc II was just a matter of figuring out a systematic method for evaluating integrals and series convergence (the two topics most people seemed to have the biggest issue with, at which point 95 percent of the problems became pretty straightforward. Calc III actually required us to understand the math at a higher, more conceptual level and demanded a lot more proof. Plus, I always thought that the multiple integrals and vector calculus sections were just tricky.

I might also be a bit biased because I basically teach Calc II now, of course.

Chaostamer said:
I'll never understand that mindset. To me, Calc II was just a matter of figuring out a systematic method for evaluating integrals and series convergence (the two topics most people seemed to have the biggest issue with, at which point 95 percent of the problems became pretty straightforward. Calc III actually required us to understand the math at a higher, more conceptual level and demanded a lot more proof. Plus, I always thought that the multiple integrals and vector calculus sections were just tricky.

I might also be a bit biased because I basically teach Calc II now, of course.

I can only speak from my own experience. It's not surprising that different people will have differing experiences and difficulties in different areas of a subject. It could have to do with the student, teacher, or many other things. I had a wonderful teacher/lenient tester with a class of 5 people for calc 3, while my calc 2 was taught by a thick accented foreigner, 80-100 students, and horrendous exams. When I say lenient vs horrendous exams, I'm comparing the difficulty of the exam vs homework/quizzes/class material.

Related to Brushing up for Calc 3 - Concerns

1. What topics should I review before taking Calc 3?

Before taking Calc 3, it is important to have a solid understanding of topics covered in Calc 1 and Calc 2, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also helpful to review vectors, parametric equations, and polar coordinates.

2. How can I prepare for the difficulty level of Calc 3?

Calc 3 is typically considered more challenging than Calc 1 and 2 because it introduces new concepts such as multivariable functions and vector calculus. To prepare, it is important to do practice problems and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

3. What are some common mistakes students make in Calc 3?

Some common mistakes in Calc 3 include not fully understanding the concepts of limits and continuity, not being able to visualize 3D graphs, and making algebraic errors while working with multivariable functions. It is important to pay attention to detail and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I improve my understanding of 3D graphs and vectors?

One way to improve understanding of 3D graphs and vectors is to use visual aids, such as graphing calculators or online interactive tools, to see how changes in variables affect the graph. Additionally, practicing with vector operations and understanding the geometric interpretation of vectors can also help improve understanding.

5. How important is it to review previous material in Calc 3?

Reviewing previous material in Calc 3 is crucial for success in the course. Many concepts in Calc 3 build upon those learned in Calc 1 and 2, so having a strong foundation is important. It is also helpful to review previous material to refresh your memory and ensure that you have a solid understanding before moving on to more complex topics.