Best major for nuclear engineering in grad school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in nuclear energy and their plan to pursue higher degrees in this field. They have chosen to study mechanical engineering as an undergraduate degree to gain a more general engineering background before specializing in nuclear engineering. They are considering other majors such as chemical engineering, materials science/engineering, and electrical engineering for their master's degree. The speaker also mentions that there are opportunities for engineers with various degrees in the nuclear power industry.
Kresimira
Hi all,
I'm currently a freshman studying mechanical engineering. My interest is 100% in energy production of all methods. However, I've wanted to work nuclear since I was 7 years old and intend to pursue higher degrees in it. I have chosen not to get my bachelor's in it as I feel a B.S. in nuke is too specific and it would be hard to find a job anywhere other than in a plant. I want a more general engineering degree first, but which one would be optimal for a master's in nuclear? I was considering chem E but that sounds less related, I was wondering if majors like materials science/engineering or electrical engineering would be better than my current ME major.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear power work employs engineers of many different stripes. In it you will find NucE, ME, EE, ChemE, and a lot of other majors. There are materials issues, heat transfer issues, vibration issues, control issues, etc. all to be addressed in order to create electric power from nuclear energy. Do think you have to have just one specific degree type to get into nuclear power. Get to be very good at any of these fields, and the doors will open.

Likes Wminus

1. What is the best major for pursuing a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

The best major for pursuing a graduate degree in nuclear engineering is typically a Bachelor's degree in engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering. These majors provide a strong foundation in math, physics, and other relevant subjects that are essential for understanding nuclear engineering principles.

2. Are there any specific undergraduate majors that would be more advantageous for a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

While there is no specific major that is required for pursuing a graduate degree in nuclear engineering, some undergraduate majors may provide a better background for this field. These include majors in physics, chemistry, or materials science, which cover topics that are closely related to nuclear engineering.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering with a non-engineering background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering with a non-engineering background. However, it may require taking additional prerequisite courses to catch up on the necessary engineering knowledge and skills. It is also important to have a strong foundation in math and science, as these subjects are essential for understanding nuclear engineering principles.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in a graduate program in nuclear engineering?

Some important skills and qualities for success in a graduate program in nuclear engineering include a strong aptitude for math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Strong communication skills are also important, as nuclear engineers often work on multidisciplinary teams and need to effectively convey complex information.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

There are many potential career paths for someone with a graduate degree in nuclear engineering. These may include working in research and development, designing and building nuclear power plants, working in nuclear waste management, or in the medical field developing nuclear medicine and imaging techniques. Graduates may also work in government agencies, such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or Department of Energy, or in national laboratories.