BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondance: 6 Yrs IT Exp

• Thread starter kleos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bsc
In summary, the individual has been working in the IT field for over 6 years and is interested in mathematics and physics. Due to having a fulltime job and a family, it is not feasible for them to return to school at this stage in their life. They are wondering if it is possible to complete a BSc in mathematics or physics through correspondance courses and if there are any reputable institutions that offer these courses at the bachelors level. While they are unsure about the possibility, they mention that some California schools offer online Masters degrees in engineering. They also mention the Open University in the UK as a reputable university that offers long distance courses, but they are not sure about other countries. They ask for suggestions for institutions that offer math
kleos
I have been working in the IT field for over 6 years. I am very interested in mathematics and physics. Since I have a fulltime job and a family, it is not feasible for me to return to school at this stage in my life. Is it possible to complete a BSc in mathematics or physics through correspondance courses? Are there any repectable institutions out there that offer mathematics or physics courses through correspondance at the bachelors level?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if there are... however, even in math, I think it would be tough to get a degree without taking some lab courses. That might be tough to do from afar ;)

Good luck though! I think some California school offers Masters degrees in engineering all from online courses... so I suppose it might be possible.

I don't know which country you are in, but it is definitely possible to study long distance in the UK-- the Open University is a very reputable university-- however in other countries I'm not sure: I can't see why not though!

kleos said:
I have been working in the IT field for over 6 years. I am very interested in mathematics and physics. Since I have a fulltime job and a family, it is not feasible for me to return to school at this stage in my life. Is it possible to complete a BSc in mathematics or physics through correspondance courses? Are there any repectable institutions out there that offer mathematics or physics courses through correspondance at the bachelors level?

For Mathematics, maybe. For Physics or Engineering, anything that does not include laboratory exercises would be of dubious value. They must not be restricted to doing just "bookwork". Where is the direct interaction (NOT virtual) with other students and instructors? Can you set-up an instrument and conduct essentially continuous adjustments on levers and knobs and handle parts of instruments and hardware items by making only computer selections over the internet? Physics requires a LABORATORY for its study. Notice the root of the word, LABOR.

Institutions that offer Math courses by correspondance?

I thought the topic I started would have created a greater level of interest and much more replies. I live in Canada, unfortunately Open university UK does not offer correspondance courses in Canada. Other than Open university UK are there any other institutions out there that offer math courses by correspondance? The only other one I know is UNISA.

kleos said:
I thought the topic I started would have created a greater level of interest and much more replies. I live in Canada, unfortunately Open university UK does not offer correspondance courses in Canada. Other than Open university UK are there any other institutions out there that offer math courses by correspondance? The only other one I know is UNISA.
University of London offers B.Sc and Graduate diploma in mathematics all online.
Do you have any experience with UNISA? I like to know more about UNISA.

Related to BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondance: 6 Yrs IT Exp

1. What is a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence?

A BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence is a degree program that allows individuals to study mathematics and physics remotely, without having to attend traditional classes on campus. It typically takes 6 years to complete and includes both theoretical and practical coursework.

2. Is a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence a reputable degree?

Yes, a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence is a reputable degree. It is offered by accredited universities and the curriculum is equivalent to that of an on-campus program. Graduates of this program have the same knowledge and skills as those who have completed a traditional degree.

3. Can I work while pursuing a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence?

Yes, you can work while pursuing a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence. This program is designed for individuals who have work or family commitments and cannot attend traditional classes. It offers flexibility in terms of study time and allows individuals to balance their work and studies.

4. What are the career prospects for someone with a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence and 6 years of IT experience?

With a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence and 6 years of IT experience, you will have a strong foundation in both mathematics, physics, and information technology. This combination of skills is highly sought after in industries such as finance, engineering, and technology. You may also pursue careers in data analysis, research, or teaching.

5. Can I pursue a higher degree after completing a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence?

Yes, you can pursue a higher degree after completing a BSc in Maths/Physics by Correspondence. Many universities offer postgraduate programs in mathematics, physics, and related fields. With a strong academic background and work experience, you may also be eligible for graduate programs in other disciplines such as business or computer science.