Buck Converters in DCM in Steady State

In summary, the conversation is about equating input power to output power in a buck boost converter. The instructor uses a quadratic equation to solve for Vout, with M=D^2 R/k. The problem involves feeding a resistive load R and the equation used is P=V^2/R.
dvscrobe
Homework Statement
This problem comes out of a EET course called Power Electronics. See equation 3.48a. The text doesn’t show the derivation and I could not figure it out even after asking the instructor. This is for learning how DC-DC buck converters operate in a discontinuous mode. A buck converter uses transistors and passive components to step DC voltages down.
Relevant Equations
Power in = Power out
Let K=2Lfs and Pin=Pout,

Have,

(Vin-Vo)/k D^2 Vin =Vo ^2/R

(I am fine up to this part. I am equating input power to output power)

V^2=D^2 + D^2 R/2 Vo Vin - R/k D ^2 Vin =0

(This is where the instructor takes over. Can’t figure out how he got to V^2. Where did that come from? Thought I was just dealing with Vin and Vout.)

Let M=D^2 R/k

Vo=Vin/2 (sqrt(M^2+4M ) -M)

Attachments

• B0A72B41-FDD1-4432-816C-9F1AAAAB4F20.jpeg
    B0A72B41-FDD1-4432-816C-9F1AAAAB4F20.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem a buck boost converter feeding a resistive load R?

I'm thinking of ##P=\frac{V^2}{R}##

anorlunda, After much headache, I realized the book is using a quadratic equation to solve for Vout. The instructor didn’t explain very well. If he would have said word quadratic, a light bulb would went off.

1. What is a Buck Converter in DCM?

A Buck Converter in DCM (Discontinuous Conduction Mode) is a type of DC-DC converter that steps down a higher DC voltage to a lower DC voltage. It operates by turning on and off a switch (usually a transistor) to control the flow of current through an inductor. In DCM, the inductor current drops to zero during each switching cycle, resulting in a discontinuous waveform.

2. How does a Buck Converter in DCM work in steady state?

In steady state, the Buck Converter in DCM operates by maintaining a constant output voltage by adjusting the duty cycle of the switching signal. When the switch is turned on, the inductor stores energy from the input voltage. When the switch is turned off, the inductor releases this stored energy to the output, resulting in a lower output voltage. By adjusting the duty cycle, the converter can maintain a stable output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a Buck Converter in DCM?

There are several advantages to using a Buck Converter in DCM. It is a simple and cost-effective solution for stepping down a voltage, as it requires fewer components compared to other DC-DC converters. It also has a high efficiency, meaning less energy is wasted during the conversion process. Additionally, DCM operation allows for a wider range of input and output voltages.

4. What are the key design considerations for a Buck Converter in DCM?

When designing a Buck Converter in DCM, there are a few key considerations to keep in mind. These include selecting the appropriate inductor and capacitor values, choosing the right switching frequency, and ensuring proper heat dissipation. It is also important to consider the load requirements and the desired output voltage ripple.

5. What are some common applications of Buck Converters in DCM?

Buck Converters in DCM are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, including laptops, smartphones, and power supplies. They are also used in automotive and aerospace applications, such as inverter systems and battery charging. Additionally, they are often used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to step down the voltage for battery storage.