How Do You Calculate Buckling Load and Failure Mode in Columns?

In summary, the student is struggling with a question involving determining the minimum length for a column to buckle and the load at which failure would occur. They are also unsure of the mode of failure and are seeking help. They have calculated the length to be 5.937m, but are unsure about the load and have made a mistake in their calculation. They are asked to provide relevant equations used and explain why they are taking a mechanical engineering class as an electrical engineering student.
HNCElec

Homework Statement

i am completely lost with this question. i need to work out:
a. what minimum length the column will buckle. b. what load the failure would occur. c. if column was half length what would be mode of failure and the load it would fail at. i would appreciate any help as i am getting really frustrated. thanks.

Homework Equations

upload_2018-6-22_15-3-47.png

The Attempt at a Solution

i have worked out the length which i got as 5.937m. not sure about the mode of failure. i guess its buckling though. and what load does it fail at i have no idea?

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-22_15-3-47.png
    upload_2018-6-22_15-3-47.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 482
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think i worked out the length wrong i have used 118.741x0.05= 5.937 but shouldn't it be 118.741x0.5=59.37?

Can you post the Relevant Equations you used in your calculations? Also, your Profile shows you are in the EE degree track. Why are you in this ME class if I may ask? Nothing wrong with that, of course...

Posting the Relevant Equations in your schoolwork questions here is important, because it helps to show us where you are in your studies... Thanks.

Likes jedishrfu and Bystander
Your first answer of 5.9 meters appears correct, but why do you think it is 59 m? As berkeman has noted, you need to post your relevant equations and methodology in arriving at solution.

1. What is buckling of a column?

Buckling of a column is a mechanical phenomenon in which a slender column or strut under compression suddenly bends or buckles due to the applied load exceeding its critical load. This can lead to failure of the column.

2. What factors affect the buckling of a column?

The main factors that affect the buckling of a column include the material properties of the column, its length, cross-sectional area, and boundary conditions. The type and magnitude of the applied load also play a significant role in determining the critical load at which buckling occurs.

3. How is the critical load for buckling calculated?

The critical load for buckling can be calculated using various equations, depending on the type of column and its boundary conditions. The most commonly used equation is the Euler's buckling formula, which takes into account the column's length, material properties, and moment of inertia.

4. What are the different types of buckling?

There are three main types of buckling: Euler buckling, which occurs in long, slender columns under compression; column buckling, which occurs in short, thick columns under compression; and lateral-torsional buckling, which occurs in beams subjected to combined bending and compression.

5. How can buckling of a column be prevented?

Buckling of a column can be prevented by using appropriate design methods and structural supports. This can include increasing the column's cross-sectional area, reducing its length, or adding bracing or other structural elements to increase its stability. Additionally, using high-strength materials and ensuring proper installation can also help prevent buckling.