Bug on spinning disk -- What distance does the bug fly off?

In summary, a bug on a spinning compact disc with a coefficient of static friction of 1.1 crawls outward from the center at 210 revolutions per minute. The correct expression for centripetal force is Fc = m v2/r, and using this formula, the bug is expected to slip at a distance of 0.022m from the center.
reanamate

Homework Statement

A bug crawls outward from the center of a compact disc spinning at 210 revolutions per minute. The coefficient of static friction between the bug's sticky feet and the disc surface is 1.1.

Homework Equations

(static friction)(Gravity) = (centripetal force)
This may be wrong but I tried setting (Centripetal Force)= (Radius)(2(pi)(rps))^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been getting .02 m but the website I'm using is saying that it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add that I am trying to find How far the bug gets from the center before slipping?

You have the wrong expression for the centripetal force. The correct expression is Fc = m v2/r. What you have is Fc = v2.

kuruman said:
What you have is Fc = v2.
No, @reanamate has rω2. Changing "centripetal force" to "centripetal acceleration" everywhere fixes all the issues.
I get the same answer - well, 0.022m to be a little more precise. Maybe that's the problem.

That worked I just need .022 thanks for the help.

haruspex said:
No, @reanamate has rω2.
Having misread the parentheses, I stand corrected.

1. How does the speed of the spinning disk affect the distance the bug flies off?

The speed of the spinning disk does not necessarily affect the distance the bug flies off. Other factors such as the size and type of bug, the surface of the disk, and the angle at which the bug is launched also play a role.

2. Will the bug fly off at the same distance every time the experiment is repeated?

No, the distance the bug flies off may vary each time the experiment is repeated due to factors such as the initial position of the bug, the speed and direction of the spinning disk, and any external forces acting on the bug.

3. Can the distance the bug flies off be calculated using a formula?

There is no simple formula to calculate the distance the bug flies off, as it depends on multiple variables. However, with precise measurements and data, a mathematical model can be created to estimate the distance.

4. What is the relationship between the distance the bug flies off and the rotational speed of the disk?

The relationship between the distance the bug flies off and the rotational speed of the disk is not linear. As the rotational speed increases, the bug may experience greater centrifugal force and be launched at a higher velocity, resulting in a longer distance. However, at a certain point, the bug may not be able to hold onto the disk and will fly off at a shorter distance.

5. How can the distance the bug flies off be affected by changing the surface of the spinning disk?

The surface of the spinning disk can affect the distance the bug flies off in several ways. A rougher surface may provide more friction and prevent the bug from slipping off, resulting in a shorter distance. A smoother surface may reduce friction and allow the bug to travel a longer distance. Additionally, the shape and texture of the surface can impact the trajectory of the bug, affecting the distance it travels.