Build a Homemade Pickup Winder

• Thread starter mayankkr1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homemade
In summary, the conversation is about building a pickup winder for a guitar using a printer motor. The speaker has two stepper motors from an old Lexmark printer and is trying to figure out which motor to use for which function. They also have questions about connecting the motors to a power supply and converting the power supply from two wires to four wires. The motors are stepper motors, which require careful consideration and experimentation to use properly.
mayankkr1986
hi

i am working on a project which is to build a pickup winder for my guitar from a printer motor.
the printer (an old lexmark 3200) ,has 2 stepper motors(10ohms and 5 ohms),and i intend to use one of them for rotating the pickup on an axle and the other for controlling the lateral traverse.
(idea:courtesy youtube :-).i have a few (electrical and mechanical)questions in mind..

1:which of the motor to use for which function?
ie power, relying on resistance of the motor must be more for less resistance?hence the motor with less resistance should be used for rotating the pickup bobbin (it needs more speed)?right??
also should i simply connect the motor directly to the axle or with gears??
would more torque be better as it would lead to less speed ??and also more tension(which is required)??is there any way to make the motor go slower ie stepping down w/o using transformers (in small amounts)??

2.the printer is an old one and has a regular cylindrical pin rather than the modern printers (which have a 3 point plug ) .i have dissembled my printer and found that the printer power supply inside connects to the printed circuit board which holds the connnection for the 2 motors..
i intend to use the motors w/o the pcb and directly under the power supply adapter.2 wires run from the power supply to the pcb and the motors have 4 wires..is it possible to connect both the motors to the same power supply??also how to convert the power supply of 2 wires to 4 wires(for the motors)??

thanx in advance..

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The motors in your printer would be stepper motors which means they are driven in small steps by pulses from a control circuit.

A 4 wire stepper motor will probably have two isolated windings and these have to be fed in the right order by pulses which alternate in polarity. Not a job to be taken on without some serious thought.

The good news is that you can experiment with the motors by applying voltages and observing the motor's rotation. The power source should match the motor's voltage rating and be able to supply an amp or so.

1. How do I build a homemade pickup winder?

To build a homemade pickup winder, you will need a motor, a baseplate, a chuck or spindle, a tensioner, a counter, and some basic tools like a drill, screwdriver, and pliers. You can find detailed instructions and diagrams online or in instructional books on guitar building.

2. What materials do I need to build a homemade pickup winder?

Some materials you will need to build a homemade pickup winder include wood or metal for the baseplate, a DC motor, a tensioning spring, a counter, and various hardware like screws and bolts. You may also need electrical wiring and a power supply if your motor does not come with one.

3. Is it difficult to build a homemade pickup winder?

The difficulty of building a homemade pickup winder will depend on your level of experience with DIY projects and working with tools. If you have some experience and follow instructions carefully, it should not be too difficult. However, it may require some trial and error to get the winding process just right.

4. Can I use a homemade pickup winder for any type of pickup?

Most homemade pickup winders are designed to work with single-coil pickups, but with some modifications, they can be used for humbuckers as well. It is important to make sure your winder can handle the size and weight of the pickup you are winding, so do some research or consult with experienced builders before attempting to wind a different type of pickup.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a homemade pickup winder?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a homemade pickup winder. This may include wearing protective gear like gloves and safety glasses, as well as being cautious when working with electrical wiring and power tools. Make sure to read and follow all safety instructions for the tools and materials you are using.