Build Your Own Leaf Shredder with the Help of a Mechanical Engineer

• Thread starter czachcross
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manual
In summary, the speaker is interested in building a leaf shredder and is unsure of who to contact for help or plans. They are wondering if a mechanical engineer would be involved in this type of project and are considering reaching out to the co-op at the provided link. The speaker also mentions that they are not a mechanical engineer and do not have access to one nearby. They are informed that for design and analysis, a licensed mechanical engineer would be needed, but for construction, a welding/fabrication shop specializing in custom equipment would be ideal.
czachcross
I'd like to build a leaf shredder like this:
http://dbco-op.org/dry-shredder/

I'm not a mechanical engineer and my first question is who would I ask to either make one for me or help me figure it out? Is this a tool a mechanical engineer would build?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I recommend contacting the co-op at the link you gave and see if you can get some plans for building your own.

sending out an email to them. is this a project a mechanical engineer would be involved in? If it were wood I'd call a carpenter, stone I'd call a mason but for something like this I'm not sure who to contact. The person who made the one in the video called himself a "practical mechanician." Not sure if that is a common trade name or his personal title. He doesn't live near me either.

If you were wanting to have something designed and analyzed you would use a licensed mechanical engineer. To have something like this built, you need a welding/fabrication shop, hopefully one that specializes in custom equipment (maybe farm equipment?)

ok great. thank you for the information!

1. What is a leaf shredder and why is it useful?

A leaf shredder is a mechanical device that is used to break down leaves into smaller pieces. This can be useful for several reasons, including reducing the bulk of leaves for easier disposal, creating mulch for gardening or composting, and reducing the risk of fire hazards caused by large piles of leaves.

2. Why do I need the help of a mechanical engineer to build a leaf shredder?

A mechanical engineer has specialized knowledge and skills in designing and building mechanical devices. They can help ensure that your leaf shredder is safe, efficient, and functions properly. They can also assist with choosing the right materials and components for your specific needs.

3. What are the basic components of a leaf shredder?

The basic components of a leaf shredder include a motor, blades or shredding mechanism, a collection bag or bin, and a frame or base to hold everything together. Some leaf shredders may also have additional features such as adjustable settings or safety features.

4. Can I customize my leaf shredder to fit my specific needs?

Yes, with the help of a mechanical engineer, you can customize your leaf shredder to fit your specific needs. This can include adjusting the size, power, and features of the shredder to better suit your intended use.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a leaf shredder?

As with any mechanical device, there are safety considerations when using a leaf shredder. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer and to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to keep children and pets away from the shredder while it is in use.