Building a Hand Cranked Generator to Charge Your Cell Phone

In summary, you can build a hand-cranked generator that can create enough electricity to maybe charge a cell phone. The generator can be found online by searching for the title of the thread.
T.O.E Dream
I need to build a hand cranked generator that can create enough electricity to maybe charge a cell phone. How would I do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd probably just cannabalize an existing generator made for this purpose. There's a ton of them out there that you can find by googling the title of the thread.

[edit] Actually, scratch that - no need to cannabalize anything. This exact product exists. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014SWPZK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And though I've never used it to charge a cell phone, I think my hand crank radio/flashlight can also charge a cell phone. Not sure, though. It's this one: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4234703

You may have to build the adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I've got a crank flashlight with a cellphone plug on it. Keep it in the car.

While you're building green chargers, or whatever you want to call them, you could build one out of solar panels, or copy the shake and charge flashlights, or if you've a little Ham Radio operator in you, build your own WiFi charger, which I'd bet could be modified to work with any cordless phones and possibly lower power waves with the correct crystals. I doubt that AM/FM bands would provide enough power, but then again any 'free' energy is energy, so its a possibility. piezo-electric (sp?) components are moving forward again, so if you were really inclined you could theoretically extended battery life by including some components inside of the phone. Probably not enough to recharge the battery, but more than likely enough to extend the battery life. Anytime I'm leaning back in my work chair and thinking about where I can grab some 'free' (I just mean no power company included. or batteries purchased.) energy. Basically if there is ANY change in ANYTHING, there is a theoretically sound method for creating or thieving energy from it. Most cells charge on .5 - 2.0 amps at 5 volts. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

Eton also makes the Solarlink FR-600. AM, FM, SW, NOAA bands, light, siren, phone charger. You can use batteries, or charge the internal batteries with the built-in solar cells or dynamo.

i need to design some hand-cranked charger for my project...do have any idea that can help me?
i mean what web can i study to understand the principle..

What is a hand cranked generator?

A hand cranked generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the use of a hand crank. It typically consists of a generator, a crank handle, and gears to increase the speed of rotation.

How does a hand cranked generator work?

A hand cranked generator works by rotating a turbine or rotor inside a magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the wire coils of the generator. This current is then converted into usable electrical energy.

What are the benefits of using a hand cranked generator?

Hand cranked generators are portable, require no external power source, and are environmentally friendly as they do not produce any emissions. They can also be used in emergency situations or in remote areas with no access to electricity.

What are some common uses of hand cranked generators?

Hand cranked generators are often used as backup power sources for small electronic devices such as radios, flashlights, and mobile phones. They are also used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of energy conversion.

Are hand cranked generators efficient?

Hand cranked generators are not as efficient as traditional sources of electricity. They require a significant amount of physical effort to produce a small amount of electricity. However, they can still be useful in situations where no other power source is available.