Building a Maglev Train Prototype

In summary, the conversation discusses a project of building a miniature Maglev Train Prototype and comparing its performance with a Conventional Train. The main issue is the propulsion system, specifically the long stator linear synchronous motor, and the question of where and how to obtain it. The possibility of using a linear induction motor is suggested, but there is also a question about making the winding of the stator oneself. Resources and suggestions for making the winding are provided.
Hector Ho
1. Hi, I am currently doing a project which the main objective is to build an miniature Maglev Train Prototype and compare its performance with a Conventional Train.

2. I am having a big problem in the propulsion system of the Meglev Train which is the long stator linear synchronous motor. Where and how can I get this long stator linear synchronous motor?

3. I planned to make the winding of stator by myself, but I have no idea how to do it? Is it possible to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hector Ho said:
I am having a big problem in the propulsion system of the Meglev Train which is the long stator linear synchronous motor. Where and how can I get this long stator linear synchronous motor?

Maybe settle for a linear induction motor? You do have 3 phase power available? If not, maybe try a 2 phase linear motor.
I planned to make the winding of stator by myself, but I have no idea how to do it? Is it possible to do it?

Evidently it is quite simple, in principle. Lots of youtube links; start here. Note the row of bolts used as magnetic cores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzrBDMXBk8g"

Good luck. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Maglev Train?

A Maglev train, short for magnetic levitation train, is a type of train that uses magnetic levitation to move along its tracks without touching them. This technology allows the train to reach high speeds and reduces friction, resulting in a smoother and quieter ride.

How does a Maglev Train work?

A Maglev train works by using two sets of magnets - one set on the train and one set on the track. The magnets on the track are electromagnets, which can be turned on and off to create a magnetic field. The magnets on the train are permanent magnets, which are always in a state of repulsion with the magnets on the track. This repulsion creates a levitation effect, lifting the train off the track and allowing it to move forward.

What are the advantages of using Maglev Trains?

Maglev trains have several advantages over traditional trains. They can reach much higher speeds, with some models being able to travel up to 375 mph. They also have lower maintenance costs, as there is no physical contact between the train and the track. Additionally, Maglev trains produce zero emissions, making them more environmentally friendly than other forms of transportation.

What are the challenges of building a Maglev Train prototype?

Building a Maglev Train prototype can be a complex and challenging process. One of the main challenges is developing a reliable and efficient magnetic levitation system. This requires precise engineering and high-quality materials. Another challenge is designing a propulsion system that can efficiently move the train at high speeds. Additionally, there are safety and regulatory considerations that must be addressed in the design and construction of a Maglev Train prototype.

What are some current examples of Maglev Trains in operation?

Currently, there are several Maglev trains in operation around the world. The first commercial Maglev train, the Shanghai Maglev, has been in operation in China since 2003. Other examples include the Japan Railway's SCMaglev, which has reached speeds of 374 mph in testing, and the Incheon Airport Maglev in South Korea. However, there are currently no Maglev trains in operation in the United States.