Building a small hot air balloon

In summary, someone could build a small hot air balloon by using 25 helium balloons and some simple supplies like a camera and string. It sounds like a reasonable project, but I think a helium balloon would be easier to use.
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
How to build?
Hypothetically how can someone build a small hot air balloon? I want to navigate a 360 camera to the air without needing a drone. Just a balloon, camera, and string to keep it from getting away. Maybe a remote fan to pull it down if string gets loose.

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like a reasonable project, but I think you could do it much easier with a helium balloon. You need something weather balloon size, not a "happy birthday" balloon.

Likes sophiecentaur, Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
anorlunda said:
not a "happy birthday" balloon.
My pocket camera weighs 350g, and Google thinks a typical helium balloon can lift 14g.
25 helium balloons should do it.

Likes anorlunda
PF encourages people to do what they are able to do before posting. You might try search terms hot air balloon, and read the Wikipedia link. That link gives some sample calculations.

Back in the 1960's, some college students in Appleton, Wisconsin found that a dry cleaner bag would lift a candle. The candle provided enough heat to lift the bag and candle, plus enough light to generate UFO reports.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
That sounds like a reasonable project, but I think you could do it much easier with a helium balloon. You need something weather balloon size, not a "happy birthday" balloon.
Here is a payload size comparison:
This guy used 43 helium filled weather balloons to lift: himself, a lawn chair, a paracute, a CB radio, sandwiches, beer, and a pellet gun. That's several camera's worth of weight.
In mid-1982, Walters and his girlfriend at the time, Carol Van Deusen, purchased 45 eight-foot (2.4 m) weather balloons and obtained helium tanks from California Toy Time Balloons. They used a forged requisition from his employer, FilmFair Studios, saying the balloons were for a television commercial.

On July 2, 1982, Walters attached 43 of the balloons to his lawn chair, filled them with helium, put on a parachute, and strapped himself into the chair in the backyard of a home at 1633 West 7th Street in San Pedro. He took his pellet gun, a CB radio, sandwiches, beer, and a camera.
Similar things have been done many times:
Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 2.16.48 PM.png

I saw a guy loft a DSLR on a tethered balloon over a construction project many years ago. It was a lot more hassle than using a drone.

Last edited:
BillTre said:
I saw a guy loft a DSRL on a tethered balloon over a construction project many years ago. It was a lot more hassle than using a drone.

A cautionary tale:

When I was a young and foolish lad, my melancholy friend and I walked 10 miles at 4AM in the morning to the apartment building of his (estranged) girlfriend - who lives on the 12th floor.

We had a large helium balloon, a grappling hook (made out of a coat hanger) and a love letter (hand-written). We picked up a spool of twine from a 24 hour convenience store on the way.

So, Helium balloon, love letter attached.
A three foot segment of twine lashing balloon to grappling hook (designed to hook on her balcony railing).
Then the bitter end of the spool of twine attached to the whole thing.

We start spooling the contraption out, and up it goes, working perfectly. A nice gentle breeze blowing it toward the building.

And then the (perfectly new) spool of twine - which inexplicably had a break at the 20 foot mark - just slides off the spool - and the whole contraption just rises up and over the building and out of sight.

And then we trudge 10 miles home in the light of the breaking dawn to drown our sorrows in the 80s equivalent of a Grape Nehi.

(He didn't get the girl.)

Moral of the story: Check your equipment. All of it.

• Haha
Likes gmax137, dlgoff, russ_watters and 3 others
strapped himself into the chair

Safety first!

• Haha
Likes BillTre, berkeman and DaveC426913
BillTre said:
beer, and a pellet gun.
Well if he was going hunting, you'd think he would have used better-camoflaged baloons! :wink:

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
berkeman said:
Well if he was going hunting
Be veeewy quiet...

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, Tom.G, berkeman and 2 others
jrmichler said:
Back in the 1960's, some college students in Appleton, Wisconsin found that a dry cleaner bag would lift a candle. The candle provided enough heat to lift the bag and candle, plus enough light to generate UFO reports.
I wonder if the UFO report aspect was planned or just a happy surprise result. :smile:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_lantern

Also variations on Japanese Lantern Balloon may find something. They are essentially the same thing, a candle suspended inside, or under, an inverted paper bag.

Free-flying ones show up around here once or twice a decade. As they can travel several miles, they are best set free over a large body of water.

Cheers,
Tom

DaveC426913 said:
A cautionary tale:

When I was a young and foolish lad, my melancholy friend and I walked 10 miles at 4AM in the morning to the apartment building of his (estranged) girlfriend - who lives on the 12th floor.

We had a large helium balloon, a grappling hook (made out of a coat hanger) and a love letter (hand-written). We picked up a spool of twine from a 24 hour convenience store on the way.

So, Helium balloon, love letter attached.
A three foot segment of twine lashing balloon to grappling hook (designed to hook on her balcony railing).
Then the bitter end of the spool of twine attached to the whole thing.

We start spooling the contraption out, and up it goes, working perfectly. A nice gentle breeze blowing it toward the building.

And then the (perfectly new) spool of twine - which inexplicably had a break at the 20 foot mark - just slides off the spool - and the whole contraption just rises up and over the building and out of sight.

And then we trudge 10 miles home in the light of the breaking dawn to drown our sorrows in the 80s equivalent of a Grape Nehi.

(He didn't get the girl.)

Moral of the story: Check your equipment. All of it.
Yes, especially if the payload is valuable. Also, check the weather. It doesn't matter if everything you do is correct if the wind
comes along and messes up the plan.

Tom.G said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_lantern

Also variations on Japanese Lantern Balloon may find something. They are essentially the same thing, a candle suspended inside, or under, an inverted paper bag.

Free-flying ones show up around here once or twice a decade. As they can travel several miles, they are best set free over a large body of water.

Cheers,
Tom
I would think they are fire hazards and should not be set free at all.

Likes berkeman
bob012345 said:
Not with Helium but there are other hazards

pinball1970 said:
Not with Helium but there are other hazards
I was referring to candles.

bob012345 said:
I was referring to candles.
Ok noted.

Likes bob012345
anorlunda said:
Isn't there a helium shortage these days?

Also filling 10s of balloons is a lot of surface area. I'd be worried the wind would take it all over. Particularly near electric wires.

Likes pinball1970
LightningInAJar said:
I know a guy who launches small hydrogen filled weather balloons in Africa. Generates the Hydrogen from rainwater automatically and stores it for the balloon flights. The U.S. weather service also uses Hydrogen as well as Helium but there is now a shortage of both. They could start making Hydrogen on demand though.

https://www.weather.gov/bmx/kidscor...=Twice a day, every day,up to over 100,000 ft.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
LightningInAJar said:
[in my squeeky voice]
Yes, there is. But you can use Hydrogen as suggested if you don't mind the explosion risk. What's the worst that could happen?
[/squeeky_voice]

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
1654301308002.png

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, berkeman and dlgoff
LightningInAJar said:
Summary: How to build?

Hypothetically how can someone build a small hot air balloon? I want to navigate a 360 camera to the air without needing a drone. Just a balloon, camera, and string to keep it from getting away. Maybe a remote fan to pull it down if string gets loose.
How high do you want to go? Could you rig up a kite? You already have the string...

bob012345 said:
How high do you want to go? Could you rig up a kite? You already have the string...

Kite Shmite:

1654303701693.png

Likes bob012345
LightningInAJar said:
how can someone build a small hot air balloon?
If you want this thread to get back to serious answers, you will need to reply accordingly. Otherwise, it will be locked before it gets derailed any further.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
If you want this thread to get back to serious answers, you will need to reply accordingly. Otherwise, it will be locked before it gets derailed any further.
My suggestion of using a kite was serious. Camera kites are an alternative to what the OP stated goals is which is aerial photography.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8LWVJ1/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
bob012345 said:
Absolutely. All of those free flying objects are hazardous. The candles cause fires and cattle are frequently killed when they eat the envelopes. I am a party pooper but they are something we can easily do without. They also constitute litter. Every year I see bits of balloon draped over the hedges and trees around our house.
Anyone who wants to release things in a dramatic way should go for doves. They find their way home and enjoy the journey.

Likes BillTre
sophiecentaur said:
Anyone who wants to release things in a dramatic way should go for doves. They find their way home and enjoy the journey.
I'll second that. I've found party balloons up to 400 miles out at sea. One of them had writing identifying its origin from nearly 1000 miles (1600 km) away. They float partially inflated, nearly immune to storms, until eaten by some creature.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
anorlunda said:
until eaten by some creature.
Often causing its death. These things are a silly indulgence and should be discouraged.

• Sad
Likes vela, pinball1970, anorlunda and 1 other person
I had a colleague who did balloon-borne experiments. They could stay aloft for weeks. Not party balloons to be sure, but they could go a very, very long way. (Indeed, they usually flew them in the Antarctic, not because of Antarctic conditions, but because the prevailing winds could be utilized to ensure the payload lands somewhere near where the team wants it to.)

bob012345 said:
Maybe 4 or 5 stories high.

LightningInAJar said:
Maybe 4 or 5 stories high.
See post #6. But check the spool/twine.

jrmichler said:
Oh, memories. My friends and I did this, around seventh grade. I don't remember where we got the idea. We used two crossed balsa sticks to hold the bottom of the bag open. Scotch tape to seal the openings in the top of the bag. For heat, we fashioned a small dish out of aluminum foil, and taped it to the center of the sticks. Fill dish with denatured alcohol and light.
berkeman said:
Well if he was going hunting, you'd think he would have used better-camoflaged baloons! :wink:
I'm sure the pellet gun was for popping his balloons one by one when he wanted to descend.
bob012345 said:
We had a slight crosswind during our final dry-cleaner bag flight. The balloon was carried into the top of a large pine tree in the neighbor's yard. We watched it for about an hour, afraid we had set the tree on fire. I lay awake that night listening for fire trucks.

Likes jrmichler and bob012345
Do they have RC hot air balloons? I would like to avoid hydrogen for sure and helium because of difficulty getting it and the quantity of balloons needed to get a meaningful amount of lift. Would heating air make a big difference compared to lighter gases alone? My 360 camera actually is pretty light.