Building intuition for Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolved around the lack of intuition in quantum mechanics and general relativity and the reliance on math. The person was looking for resources, such as books or collections of quantum phenomena, to help build their intuition. However, the advice given was to focus on mastering the math, specifically the Dirac notation, as it can lead to a better understanding of QM. A recommendation for the book "Quantics: Rudiments of Quantum Physics" was also given, which includes both experimental facts and the corresponding mathematical explanations.
RubinLicht
I've been reading about self teaching physics (mainly because the college curriculum is too slow to get me to any meaningful level of understanding at the end of four years), and an issue was brought up about lack of intuition in quantum mechanics/GR, and depending too much on the math.

I was wondering if there are books or other resources that are purely collections of quantum phenomena or experiments, which I can then use to "build my intuition" regarding what actually happens, and work through how individual topics work together to make something happen.

Also, other advice on how to build intuition in general helps too.

I think it may be possible that I'm looking for a Flying circus of physics" type book for quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would advise against trying to first build up an intuition about QM. Work with the math as much as you can, and the intuition will come as a result. You will find many threads in this forum where people get to the wrong answer by relying on their intuition instead of some firmer ground.

By the way, by "math" I do not mean anything complicated. Mastering the Dirac notation can take you a long way into understanding QM.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Derek P
I like this book,

Quantics: Rudiments of Quantum Physics
by https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=Jean-Marc+Levy-Leblond&search-alias=books&field-author=Jean-Marc+Levy-Leblond&sort=relevancerank&tag=pfamazon01-20 (Author), https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_2?ie=UTF8&text=Francoise+Balibar&search-alias=books&field-author=Francoise+Balibar&sort=relevancerank&tag=pfamazon01-20 (Author), https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_3?ie=UTF8&text=S.+Twareque+Ali&search-alias=books&field-author=S.+Twareque+Ali&sort=relevancerank&tag=pfamazon01-20 (Translator)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0444881204/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Less than $30. Lots of experimental quantum mechanical "facts" along with the math that explains these facts. Check out the book if you can.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of these particles, including their wave-particle duality and probabilistic nature.

2. How can I develop intuition for quantum mechanics?

Developing intuition for quantum mechanics involves understanding the fundamental principles and mathematical concepts behind it. This can be achieved through studying textbooks, attending lectures, and practicing problem-solving. It also requires an open-minded and imaginative approach to grasp the counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is it important to have intuition for quantum mechanics?

Having intuition for quantum mechanics is crucial for understanding and making sense of the physical world at a microscopic level. It also plays a significant role in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, and in advancing our understanding of the universe.

4. What are some tips for building intuition for quantum mechanics?

One effective way to build intuition for quantum mechanics is to visualize and think about the behavior of particles using analogies and thought experiments. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working with mathematical equations. Additionally, staying up-to-date with current research and developments in the field can aid in developing intuition.

5. Is it possible to fully understand quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a complex and continuously evolving field, so it is not possible to fully understand it in its entirety. However, by building intuition and continually learning and exploring the concepts, one can gain a deeper understanding of this fundamental aspect of the universe.