Bullet hits cylinder angular speed

In summary, the problem involves a bullet hitting and adhering to a solid disk mounted on a vertical axis. The system is initially at rest and the line of motion of the bullet is perpendicular to the axis. Using the equations for linear momentum, angular momentum, torque, and the parallel axis theorem, the angular velocity of the system can be calculated after the collision. The bullet can be treated as a point particle and its moment of inertia can be found using the definition of angular momentum of a particle. This can then be added to the moment of inertia of the solid cylinder to solve for the angular velocity.
AltruistKnight
Angular Velocity After Bullet Hits Cylinder

Homework Statement

A 11.0g bullet is fired at 378.1m/s into a solid disk of mass 19.1kg and a radius 0.250m. The disk is initially at rest and is mounted on fixed vertical axis that runs through it's center of mass. The line of motion of the bullet is perpendicular to the axis and at a distance 5.00cm from the center. Find the angular velocity of the system after the bullet strikes and adheres to the surface of the disk.

Homework Equations

Linear Momentum (P)=m*v
Angular Momentum (L) from Linear Momentum(P)=m*v*r
Angular Momentum (L)=Moment of Interia*Angular Speed
Torque=F*r
Angular Speed ("Omega")=Change in Angle/t
Parallel Axis Theorem:Icm=Icm@Point+MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Prior to collision, all the inertia is in the positive x-direction according to my coordinate system, and belongs solely to the bullet. This would be linear momentum. However, after the collision, the bullet becomes embedded in the cylinder, which begins to turn in order to conserve the bullet's momentum.

Thus:

mv(Bullet)=I(Bullet+Cylinder)Omega

But does radius only come into play with calculating the system's moment of inertia post-collision? (And would I find the moment of inertia of the embedded bullet by assuming its embedded 5cm above the center, and then using the parallel axis theorem? Would I then just find the moment of inertia of the cylinder via a solid cylinder equation, add the two, and solve the momentum equation I showed above?)

If anyone could help me out ASAP with this that'd be great; my assignments are computerized and are only telling me I'm wrong rather than actually helping me realize whether it's the math or just my conceptual thought >_<

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, AltruistKnight.

AltruistKnight said:
mv(Bullet)=I(Bullet+Cylinder)Omega

Linear momentum and angular momentum have different dimensions (units). So, they can't be set equal to one another. Can you find the angular momentum of the bullet about the axis of rotation of the disk just before the bullet strikes the disk? (Treat the bullet as a particle and review the definition of angular momentum of a particle.)

But does radius only come into play with calculating the system's moment of inertia post-collision? (And would I find the moment of inertia of the embedded bullet by assuming its embedded 5cm above the center, and then using the parallel axis theorem? Would I then just find the moment of inertia of the cylinder via a solid cylinder equation, add the two, and solve the momentum equation I showed above?)

The bullet can be treated as a point particle that rotates with the disk after the collision. You should have studied how to find the moment of inertia of a single particle that moves in a circle. Then, as you said, you can add this to the moment of inertia of the solid cylinder.

1. What is "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed"?

"Bullet hits cylinder angular speed" refers to the rotational velocity of a cylinder after it has been struck by a bullet. This phenomenon is commonly studied in the field of ballistics and can provide valuable information about the impact and penetration of bullets.

2. How is the angular speed of a cylinder affected by a bullet impact?

The angular speed of a cylinder is affected by a bullet impact in several ways. The magnitude of the angular speed will depend on the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the moment of inertia and rotational friction of the cylinder. Additionally, the angle at which the bullet strikes the cylinder and the location of the impact can also affect the resulting angular speed.

3. What factors can influence the accuracy of measuring "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed"?

Several factors can influence the accuracy of measuring "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed." These include the precision and sensitivity of the measuring equipment, the conditions of the experiment (such as temperature and air resistance), and the skill of the person conducting the measurement. It is important to carefully control these factors to obtain accurate and reliable results.

4. How is "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed" related to bullet penetration?

The angular speed of a cylinder after being struck by a bullet can provide insight into the bullet's ability to penetrate the surface. A higher angular speed indicates a greater transfer of energy and momentum from the bullet to the cylinder, which can result in deeper penetration. This relationship is often studied in ballistics to understand the effectiveness of different types of bullets and materials.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed"?

The study of "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed" has various real-world applications. For example, it can be used to analyze the performance of different types of bullets and materials in ballistics and military operations. It can also be applied in forensic investigations to gather information about the trajectory and impact of bullets at crime scenes. Additionally, understanding the physics behind "Bullet hits cylinder angular speed" can also aid in the design and improvement of protective gear and materials for law enforcement and military personnel.