Bullet Hits Disc: Velocity of Inelastic Collision

• Thread starter satishinamdar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet Disc
In summary: So the angular impulse is just the moment of inertia of the bullet.In summary, a bullet of mass m hits a disc of radius R on its periphery at speed v. The velocity of the disc is given by v_{disc} = \frac{mv}{m_{disc} + m} + v, where v is the initial velocity of the bullet. If the collision is inelastic, the velocity of the disc is given by v = v_{disc} + I_bullet, where I_bullet is the moment of inertia of the bullet.
satishinamdar
A bullet of mass m hits a disc of radius R on its periphery at speed v.What will be the velocity of disc if the collision is inelastic?

Physics news on Phys.org
satishinamdar said:
A bullet of mass m hits a disc of radius R on its periphery at speed v.What will be the velocity of disc if the collision is inelastic?
You tell us. Hint: What's conserved?

momentum is conserved.pl help

satishinamdar said:
momentum is conserved.pl help
The problem statement does not give all the needed information. Is the disk at rest? What is its mass? This almost sounds like it could be a rotation problem. Is there more you have not told us?

Dan is correct, some information is missing. State the problem exactly as given.

(I assumed it was a rotation problem, and that angular momentum would be conserved, but failed to point out the missing info. Sorry.)

satishinamdar said:
There are different ways that a collision can be inelastic. The bullet could compress and deflect off. The bullet could stick to the disc. Since the question does not give you the final speed of the bullet, let's assume that it sticks to the disc. In this case, the question is asking for the velocity of the centre of mass of the disc + bullet and this is just a matter of applying conservation of linear momentum:

[tex]v_{disc} = \frac{mv}{m_{disc} + m}[/tex]

AM

Assume the mass of disc as M.how it is a case of conservation of linear momentum?

Please state the full problem exactly as given.

For example: Is the disk fixed about an axis, or free to move? Are you asked to find the speed of the disk's center of mass? or it's rotational speed?

it is fixed to axis.Angular speed to be calculated.

Angular (not linear) momentum will be conserved, assuming there's no friction about the axis. What's the initial angular momentum of the bullet? What's the rotational inertia of the "disk + bullet"?

Use that to find the angular speed of the disk after the collision, assuming the collision is perfectly inelastic--the bullet imbeds itself to the rim of the disk.

Last edited:
satishinamdar said:
it is fixed to axis.Angular speed to be calculated.
Why do you insist on not stating the problem? You have been asked to do it repeatedly. You still have not given us enough information to find a result. If you want help, state the problem exactly the way it was given to you.

It's like pulling teeth, eh Dan? :rolleyes:

Dear Guruji
the problem as appearing in the textbook is as follows
"A bullet of mass m collides inelastically at the periphery of a disc of mass M and RADIUS r, with a speed v.The disc rotates about a fixed horizontal axis.Find theangular velocity of the disc bullet system just after the impact."
Now I request you to help.

This is hilarious if that is truly exactly as it appears in the textbook!:smile: The only way you will find the angular velocity is by knowing the Inertia of the system. In that calculation you will have to know the radius or distance from the center of mass at which the bullet hits. Unless I am blind, that little piece of information is missing. Is there a picture or diagram in the book?

yes there is a diagram it shows,
a circle with radius r, centre O,
says mass M, THE ARROW TOUCHING THE CIRCLE PERIPHERY TANGENTIALLY . WITH VELOCITY v AND MASS m
I thought the text was quite sufficient.
Now nothing more to share

"THE ARROW TOUCHING THE CIRCLE PERIPHERY TANGENTIALLY"
Once again I am tired, is the arrow hitting the face of the circle as a real arrow strikes a target, or the arrow somehow sticks on the edge of the circle , as if a car wheel was hit with a falling rock on the edge and caused it to spin?

matthew baird said:
"THE ARROW TOUCHING THE CIRCLE PERIPHERY TANGENTIALLY"
Once again I am tired, is the arrow hitting the face of the circle as a real arrow strikes a target, or the arrow somehow sticks on the edge of the circle , as if a car wheel was hit with a falling rock on the edge and caused it to spin?
One has to assume the disk is perpendicular to the path of the bullet, the bullet strikes at a distance R above the horizontal axis about which the disk rotatates and sticks to the disk.

In this case, you have to determine the angular impulse received from the bullet:

[tex]\Delta L = I_{bullet+disk}\Delta \omega = \Delta p_{bullet}R[/tex]

The moment of inertia of the disk + bullet is just the moment of inertia of the disk + mR^2

AM

satishinamdar said:
Dear Guruji
the problem as appearing in the textbook is as follows
"A bullet of mass m collides inelastically at the periphery of a disc of mass M and RADIUS r, with a speed v.The disc rotates about a fixed horizontal axis.Find theangular velocity of the disc bullet system just after the impact."
Now I request you to help.
You have been provided with all the hints you need: See my last post and Andrew's post. Now it's your turn.

Related to Bullet Hits Disc: Velocity of Inelastic Collision

1. What is a bullet hit disc and what is an inelastic collision?

A bullet hit disc is an experiment where a bullet is fired into a stationary disc, causing it to rotate. An inelastic collision is a collision where the kinetic energy is not conserved, meaning some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation.

2. How does the velocity of the bullet affect the results of the experiment?

The velocity of the bullet plays a significant role in the results of the experiment. A higher velocity bullet will have more kinetic energy, causing a larger amount of energy to be transferred to the disc and resulting in a higher rotation speed.

3. What factors, besides velocity, can affect the outcome of the collision?

The mass and size of the bullet and disc can also affect the outcome of the collision. A heavier bullet or a larger disc will have a greater impact and result in a higher rotation speed. Additionally, factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the results of the experiment.

4. How is the velocity of the bullet and the resulting rotation speed of the disc related?

The velocity of the bullet and the resulting rotation speed of the disc are directly proportional. This means that as the velocity of the bullet increases, the rotation speed of the disc will also increase.

5. What is the practical application of this experiment?

This experiment can be used to study the effects of inelastic collisions in real-life scenarios, such as car accidents or sports collisions. It can also help engineers design better safety measures to reduce the impact of collisions and prevent injury.