Bullet is fired into block at at offset, conversation of kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation is about a first year engineering student trying to solve a problem involving the conservation of kinetic energy in an impact. They attempt to use equations for kinetic energy and angular momentum, but encounter difficulties finding the correct answer. They also discuss the rotation and moment of inertia of the bullet and block system.
tomorrow_808

Homework Statement

Hello, first year engineering student here :)https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t35.0-12/10744040_871781156179440_107104578_o.jpg?oh=73c4261941e7ef6b7c682558c0925a63&oe=544F5CA4&__gda__=1414428985_0415c28b8b2e194bf0b57f065267fe49 [/B]

The question is

in Case B, what percentage of the bullet's initial KE is conserved as KE in the impact?

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)*m*v^2 + (1/2)*I*w^2 where I=mass moment of inertia, w=angular velocity
(angular momentum) H=m*v*r*sin(theta) (maybe? Not sure if this is revelant...)
(angular momentum) H=I*w (also not sure if relevant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the mass moment of the block using I=(1/12)*m*(a^2+b^2) and the bullet I=m*r^2,
then I used H=m*v*r*sin(theta) to find H, then use w=H/I to find angular velocity, where I is I(bullet)+I(block)

then I plugged in all the values into the first KE equation above, but got the wrong answer. (BTW, I found final v of the block+bullet by Conservation of Momentum)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had enough conversations of kinetic energy for one night :)

About what point will bullet+block rotate? What is the moment of inertia about that point?

I think the bullet+block will rotate about its centre of mass? If that's the case then the moment of inertia can be found using I=1/2*m*(a^2+b^2). But the question hints that we should include the bullet's effect on the moment of inertia (the bullet's moment of inertia would be I=m*r^2, yeah?).

tomorrow_808 said:
I think the bullet+block will rotate about its centre of mass?
The centre of mass of what, precisely?
the bullet's moment of inertia would be I=m*r^2, yeah?).
Where r is what?

1. What is the conservation of kinetic energy?

The conservation of kinetic energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total amount of kinetic energy in a system remains constant, unless acted upon by external forces. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of kinetic energy apply to a bullet fired into a block at an offset?

In this scenario, the initial kinetic energy of the bullet is transferred to the block upon impact. This results in a decrease in the bullet's kinetic energy and an increase in the block's kinetic energy. However, the total amount of kinetic energy in the system remains constant, as stated by the conservation of energy law.

3. What factors influence the amount of kinetic energy transferred in this scenario?

The amount of kinetic energy transferred in this scenario depends on several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the bullet, the mass and composition of the block, and the angle and location of impact. These factors can affect the amount of energy absorbed and the resulting damage to the block.

4. How is the offset of the bullet's impact significant in this scenario?

The offset of the bullet's impact can affect the distribution of kinetic energy within the block. If the bullet hits the block off-center, the energy will be concentrated in a smaller area, potentially causing more damage. However, if the bullet hits the block at a more central location, the energy will be distributed over a larger area, resulting in less damage.

5. How does this scenario demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy?

This scenario clearly demonstrates the conservation of energy, as the total amount of kinetic energy in the system before and after the bullet is fired remains constant. The initial kinetic energy of the bullet is transferred to the block upon impact, resulting in a decrease in the bullet's kinetic energy and an increase in the block's kinetic energy. This transfer of energy follows the fundamental law of the conservation of energy.