Buoyant Force & Gravity Force find Fnet (Newtons Second Law)

In summary: Thank you for your string of replies. I am not sure what is going on. I am still waiting to hear back from my professor. Thank you for your help, I thought it was me.
tmschmidt24

Homework Statement

A 4 kg book sinks a distance of 5m in the ocean starting from rest. The volume of the book is 0.00266666666666667 m^3. We assume the velocity of the Earth is zero during the whole process, and gravity and the bouyance force are the only interactions of the book. (Note: Take the density of sea water to be 1000 kg/m^3)
Solving the problem using Newton’s Seconds Law approach:
(Assume standard coordinates, centered on the initial position of the book.)
a) What is the net force acting on the book?
F_x^(net) = 0 N
F_y^(net) = ? N

b) What is the acceleration of the book?
a_x = 0 m/s^2
a_y = ? m/s^2

c) What is the final velocity of the book?
v_x^(f) = 0 m/s
v_y^(f) = ? m/s

d) What is the final speed of the book? |(v^->^f)| = ? m/s

Homework Equations

Fnet= F(gravity)+F(buoyancy)
Fnet=ma
F(gravity)=m*g
F(buoyancy)=p(fluid)V(sub)g
g=9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F(buoyancy)=1000*0.00266666666666667*9.8= 26.13 N (since it is a force against it'd be negative)
F(gravity)=4*9.8=39.2 N
Fnet^y= 39.2-26.13= 13.07 N

It says my answer is wrong for Fnet^y. If I could just get the Fnet^y I can do the rest is there something I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
tmschmidt24 said:

Homework Statement

A 4 kg book sinks a distance of 5m in the ocean starting from rest. The volume of the book is 0.00266666666666667 m^3. We assume the velocity of the Earth is zero during the whole process, and gravity and the bouyance force are the only interactions of the book. (Note: Take the density of sea water to be 1000 kg/m^3)
Solving the problem using Newton’s Seconds Law approach:
(Assume standard coordinates, centered on the initial position of the book.)
a) What is the net force acting on the book?
F_x^(net) = 0 N
F_y^(net) = ? N

b) What is the acceleration of the book?
a_x = 0 m/s^2
a_y = ? m/s^2

c) What is the final velocity of the book?
v_x^(f) = 0 m/s
v_y^(f) = ? m/s

d) What is the final speed of the book? |(v^->^f)| = ? m/s

Homework Equations

Fnet= F(gravity)+F(buoyancy)
Fnet=ma
F(gravity)=m*g
F(buoyancy)=p(fluid)V(sub)g
g=9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F(buoyancy)=1000*0.00266666666666667*9.8= 26.13 N (since it is a force against it'd be negative)
F(gravity)=4*9.8=39.2 N
Fnet^y= 39.2-26.13= 13.07 N

It says my answer is wrong for Fnet^y. If I could just get the Fnet^y I can do the rest is there something I am missing?

Hi tmschmidt24, Welcome to Physics Forums.

0.00266666666666667 m3 is a very strange value to be given for a volume. Are we to believe that the volume was measured to that many significant figures? The other given values are rather more limited, only one significant figure each. Could it be that the problem is testing your recognition/use of significant figures?

By the way, 0.00266666666666667 ≈ 1/375 . Just something I noticed, probably not important.

Thank you. The problem is copied word for word from web assign. It accepts 1 or 2 decimal points as an answer. I did try .0027 as well and came up with 26.46 for F(b) which make the F(net)y= 12.74, that did not work. It does not seem to car about Sig Figs do not matter on webassign unless stated. I thought maybe I was missing apart of the problem. I have sent an e-mail to my professor since it is due tonight at 11:59 CDST time tonight I hope that he will give me another extension.

Another possible "gotcha" is the assumption of coordinate system axes directions. Is your net y-direction force upwards or downwards? Which direction is positive?

First of all, it is important to note that the buoyant force acts in the opposite direction of gravity, so it should be -26.13 N in your calculation.

Next, to find the net force in the y-direction, you need to also consider the weight of the book in water. This can be calculated using the density of the book and the volume of the book. The weight of the book in water will be equal to the buoyant force acting on it.

So, Fnet^y = F(gravity) + F(buoyancy) + F(weight in water).

Once you have the correct value for Fnet^y, you can use Newton's Second Law to find the acceleration of the book in the y-direction. From there, you can use kinematic equations to find the final velocity and speed of the book.

Remember to always consider all the forces acting on an object when solving a physics problem. In this case, the weight of the book in water is an important factor that was not included in your calculation.

What is buoyant force and gravity force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. Gravity force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass.

How do you find the net force in a system involving buoyant force and gravity force?

To find the net force, we use Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, we would need to consider the buoyant force and gravity force acting on the object and determine the resulting acceleration.

What factors affect the buoyant force and gravity force in a system?

The buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid and the volume of the object submerged. The gravity force is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

How do you calculate the buoyant force and gravity force in a system?

The buoyant force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The gravity force can be calculated using the formula Fg = G(m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

What is the relationship between buoyant force and gravity force?

Buoyant force and gravity force are opposite forces that act on an object in a fluid. The buoyant force is directed upwards, while the gravity force is directed downwards. The magnitude of the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object, while the magnitude of the gravity force is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. When the net force is calculated, the buoyant force and gravity force are often in equilibrium, resulting in no net acceleration.