Busbar Spacing: Why Not Stack?

In summary: I don't understand. Is it possible to stagger the insulators without screwing them to the bars?It is possible to stagger the insulators without screwing them to the bars, but it introduces new problems.
Ivan001
TL;DR Summary
Busbar insulators supports
Why it's not a practice to use such busbar spacing insulator arrangement as it's showed in the picture from attachment (one busbar above other)?

Attachments

• Busbar supports.png
    Busbar supports.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 202
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is SERIOUSLY lacking in information, but who says it isn't?

How would you put out the fires that start in the animal nests built between the bars when the power is off?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Why not assume that every feasible method is in use somewhere? and that many infeasible methods have been tried and discarded.

It would be very hard to say that some method has never been used anywhere.

This is used - it has been a while but I am thinking often in MCC or other lower power - or more importantly lower fault current applications. The mechanical strength of the bus is almost entirely determined by the fault current stress.

phinds said:
but who says it isn't
Did you seen it somewhere?
You can everywhere buy horizontal, vertical or stair type of busbar insulators, but nowhere something like that. I guess that those red insulators have low mechanical strenght in regards to short circuit power between two bars. I asked it because I always see three phases placed horizontaly with some spacing between phases, but never seen one above other..

Ivan001 said:
Did you seen it somewhere?
You can everywhere buy horizontal, vertical or stair type of busbar insulators, but nowhere something like that. I guess that those red insulators have low mechanical strenght in regards to short circuit power between two bars. I asked it because I always see three phases placed horizontaly with some spacing between phases, but never seen one above other..
The fact that you haven't seen it sold that way is irrelevant. I asked you where you heard that it can't be done and you are ignoring the question. On this forum that is not acceptable. When you are asked to provide a source for a categorical statement the rules say you have to provide it. You said it isn't practiced. Give me a source that says it isn't practiced.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Give me a source
OK, I understand.
If you google some of the key words: busbar system, busbar spacing insulators, etc...you will get a lot of examples with vertical, horizontal or stairway busbar systems, but there will be no picture which represents the situation from my question.
Now, please give me a source where we can see the arrengment from my picture?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You continue to evade the question.

phinds said:
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You continue to evade the question.
Yeah of course. In that case, can you give explanation why we can use one busbar above other or why we can't. Is insulator's strenght too week for this type of arangement or not?

Ivan001 said:
Yeah of course. In that case, can you give explanation why we can use one busbar above other or why we can't. Is insulator's strenght too week for this type of arangement or not?
See post #2

Ivan001 said:
Why it's not a practice to use such busbar spacing insulator arrangement as it's showed in the picture from attachment (one busbar above other)?
Convection cooling is improved by mounting the bars on their sides. Better cooling reduces the need for copper and support for that mass.

A bar must support it's weight between insulators, there is less sag when mounted on edge than when flat.

The insulators are subjected to less voltage where the bars are supported from a grounded chassis. Leakage or voltage breakdown should be to ground, not to another phase.

Bus bars come in limited lengths, they must be joined. Also, how do you make a tap to the bus if you cannot inter-finger one bar between two at the same potential?

Threading a bar into the support structure, or installing an insulator, should not require disturbance of other bars.

Sometimes the coded standards are based on what worked 50 years ago. If that standard does not include a particular configuration, then it cannot be used.

There are many practical and electrical reasons why the use of some particular configuration is unusual. How many other reasons do you need?

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
How many other reasons do you need?
Well said, thanks. :smile:

@Ivan001
The insulators you show in post #1 have an internal thread at each end. You must tighten the screw with a spanner, without rotating or damaging the insulator. Where two insulators meet at a bar you will need a short threaded stud. But that cannot be tightened without gripping and risking damage to the insulator surfaces while overcoming the friction between the bus bar and the radius of the insulator end. Staggering the insulators so the screw heads can be accessed, will introduce a whole new set of distorting forces to the bars and insulators. It will also lead to a difficult hole pattern in the bars that will make design difficult. Why invent a whole new set of problems.

I have dismantled two electricity substations for scrap, so I really appreciate the convenience of access to the nuts and bolts that held them together. The sub-stations were designed by engineers who had worked through WW2, so were well aware of the ways to reduce indirect bomb damage and speed repair. Taking things apart can be highly educational. You should not design a new solution until you thoroughly understand the multi-dimensional reasoning behind the old design.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is busbar spacing and why is it important?

Busbar spacing refers to the distance between two adjacent busbars in an electrical system. It is important because it affects the overall performance and safety of the system. Proper spacing ensures efficient power distribution and reduces the risk of electrical faults and failures.

2. Why is it not recommended to stack busbars?

Stacking busbars means placing them on top of each other instead of having them side by side. This is not recommended because it can lead to overheating and uneven distribution of current. It also makes it difficult to inspect and maintain the busbars.

3. Can busbars be stacked in any situation?

No, busbars should not be stacked in any situation. It is only recommended in specific cases where the design and installation have been carefully planned and approved by a qualified engineer. Stacking should be avoided whenever possible.

4. What are the potential risks of stacking busbars?

Stacking busbars can lead to overheating, which can cause damage to the busbars and other components in the system. It can also create uneven distribution of current, which can result in power disruptions or even electrical fires. Additionally, it can make it difficult to maintain and inspect the busbars, increasing the risk of electrical hazards.

5. Are there any alternatives to stacking busbars?

Yes, there are several alternatives to stacking busbars. One option is to use larger busbars to accommodate the required current. Another option is to use parallel busbars, which involves having multiple smaller busbars connected in parallel to handle higher currents. It is always best to consult a qualified engineer to determine the most suitable alternative for your specific situation.