Bytes for surfing the internet?

In summary, the amount of megabytes it takes to surf the internet for two hours a day for a month depends on the websites visited and the number of pages clicked. It can range from a few hundred megabytes to several hundred, and it also depends on the size of the web pages. Popular broadcasting companies offer free TV episodes online, which can also contribute to the amount of megabytes used.
tgt
How many megabytes does it take to say surf two hours of internet a day for a month (without downloading anything substantial like songs or movies etc)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you are using Firefox, then you can find the size of a web page by going to Tools>>Page Info.

This page is 12.34KB

Now what you are asking depends upon how many pages you load in those 2 hours.

It all depends on the sites you go to.

My internet probably sees upwards of several hundred megabytes a day, with all of the photography sites I visit, plus I watch TV online.

Mech_Engineer said:
It all depends on the sites you go to.

My internet probably sees upwards of several hundred megabytes a day, with all of the photography sites I visit, plus I watch TV online.

Free TV online? If so what kind of TV?

tgt said:
Free TV online? If so what kind of TV?

Most major broadcasting companies have episodes of their popular shows available on the internet these days.

www.fox.com
www.abc.com
www.cbs.com
www.nbc.com[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What exactly are bytes and how do they relate to surfing the internet?

Bytes are a unit of measurement for data storage. They are used to measure the amount of information that can be transmitted over the internet. When you surf the internet, your device is constantly sending and receiving bytes of data to load web pages, images, and videos.

2. How many bytes are typically used when browsing the internet?

The amount of bytes used while surfing the internet varies depending on the content being accessed. Simple web pages with text and minimal images may only use a few kilobytes, while streaming a high-quality video can use several megabytes per minute.

3. How does the speed of my internet connection affect the amount of bytes being used?

The speed of your internet connection can affect the amount of bytes being used because a faster connection can download and upload data at a quicker rate. This means that websites and content can load faster, resulting in fewer bytes being used. However, high-speed connections may also encourage users to browse more content, which can increase the amount of bytes used.

4. Are there differences in bytes used between different types of devices, such as computers and smartphones?

Yes, there can be differences in bytes used between different types of devices. For example, a website may be optimized for mobile devices and use fewer bytes to load on a smartphone compared to a desktop computer. Additionally, apps and websites may use different amounts of data on different devices depending on how they are designed and coded.

5. Are there any ways to reduce the number of bytes used while surfing the internet?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the number of bytes used while surfing the internet. One way is to use data-saving features on your browser or device, which can compress data and reduce the amount of data being transmitted. Another way is to limit the amount of streaming and downloading of large files, and to avoid unnecessary browsing or opening multiple tabs at once.