Calc 3: Motion in xy plane question

In summary, the object is moving on the curve y=e^-x with a velocity vector of x\vec{i}- e^{-x}\vec{j} at t=0 and a constant acceleration of 2\sqrt{2} ft/s^2. The total force on the object at that point is 11\sqrt{2} lbs at an angle of 45 degrees.
widmoybc

Homework Statement

In the xy plane, where distances are measured in feet, a 96 lb object is moving from left to right on the curve y=e^-x. At t-0 its speed is 6ft/s and is speeding up at (square root of 8) ft/s^2. what is the total force on it at that point? Give floating point values for the magnitude and angle of inclination of this force.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't really know where to begin. I'm sure once i get started on the right track, i can finish it. we know that the point in question is (0,1), and we know v(0)=6 ft/s and a(0)=sqrt8 ft/s^s. and we know y=e^-x, dy/dx= -e^-x, and second derivative= e^-x. the unit tangent is i-j and the unit normal is i+j. Now I'm stuck. do i need to use the breakdown of a into componets equation with the curvature and whatnot?

Physics news on Phys.org
widmoybc said:

Homework Statement

In the xy plane, where distances are measured in feet, a 96 lb object is moving from left to right on the curve y=e^-x. At t-0 its speed is 6ft/s and is speeding up at (square root of 8) ft/s^2. what is the total force on it at that point? Give floating point values for the magnitude and angle of inclination of this force.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't really know where to begin. I'm sure once i get started on the right track, i can finish it. we know that the point in question is (0,1), and we know v(0)=6 ft/s and a(0)=sqrt8 ft/s^s. and we know y=e^-x, dy/dx= -e^-x, and second derivative= e^-x. the unit tangent is i-j and the unit normal is i+j. Now I'm stuck. do i need to use the breakdown of a into componets equation with the curvature and whatnot?
F= ma is a very good place to start! You know the object is moving on the curve [itex]y= e^{-x}[/itex] so its velocity vector must be tangent to that curve. And you have already calculated that the derivative is [itex]y'= -e^{-x}[/itex] so you know a vector tangent to that is [itex]x\vec{i}- e^{-x}\vec{j}[/itex] for each x. Further you are told that the speed (length of the velocity vector) is 6 ft/sec at t= t_0 and increases at the constant rate of [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex]: the speed at time t is [itex]6+2\sqrt{2}(t- t_0)[/itex]. That means that the velocity vector at time t is parallel to [itex]x\vec{i}- e^{-x}\vec{j}[/itex] (and so is of the form [itex]xv\vec{i}- ve^{-x}\vec{j}[/itex] which has length [itex]v\sqrt{x^2- e^{-2x}})= 2\sqrt{2}[/itex]).

Alright, thanks! i think i got my answer. i ended up getting an acceleration vector of 11sqrt2 i + 7sqrt2 j. now i just need to multiply that by the mass to get the vector of the force. do i need to convert pounds to slugs? then my total force will be in pounds?

Related to Calc 3: Motion in xy plane question

1. What is Calc 3: Motion in xy plane?

Calc 3: Motion in xy plane is the third course in a calculus sequence that focuses on the study of motion in the xy plane. It involves the use of advanced calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and vector operations to analyze the motion of objects in two-dimensional space.

2. What are some common topics covered in Calc 3: Motion in xy plane?

Some common topics covered in Calc 3: Motion in xy plane include parametric equations, vector-valued functions, polar coordinates, and applications of derivatives and integrals in motion problems.

3. What skills are required to succeed in Calc 3: Motion in xy plane?

To succeed in Calc 3: Motion in xy plane, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus concepts, particularly in derivatives and integrals. A solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry is also helpful in solving complex motion problems.

4. How is Calc 3: Motion in xy plane different from previous calculus courses?

Calc 3: Motion in xy plane builds upon the concepts learned in previous calculus courses, but it introduces new topics such as vector operations and parametric equations. It also focuses on applying calculus concepts to solve real-world problems involving motion in two-dimensional space.

5. What are some real-life applications of Calc 3: Motion in xy plane?

Calc 3: Motion in xy plane has many real-life applications, including analyzing the motion of projectiles, understanding the movement of celestial bodies, and predicting the motion of particles in fluid dynamics. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.