Calc 3 planes- not really understanding the problem/solution?

In summary, the problem asks for an equation of a plane consisting of all points that are equidistant from (-1, 3,-1) and (-2,-3, 03), and has -1 as the coefficient of x. After reading the problem, the student attempted to find a solution by finding a vector using the two given points and finding a new point on the plane by computing the midpoint of the 2 given points. The final step asks the student to calculate the plane with -1 as the x-coefficient, and this was simply done by subtracting the given points.
SMA_01

Homework Statement

The problem states to find an equation of the plane consisting of all points that are equidistant from (-1,3,-1) and (-2,-3,03) and having -1 as the coefficient of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually got the solution by finding a vector using the two points and finding a new point on the plane by computing the midpoint of the 2 given points, and then plugged them into the plane equation. The thing is I don't understand how that worked out. I know that for the plane equation, you need a vector perpendicular to the plane, the normal vector right? So how come for this problem, it was sufficient to just compute a vector using the two given points which lie on the plane? Isn't this vector on the plane and not perpendicular to it?
Maybe I'm missing the obvious, an explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the vector you computed will not be on the plane. Think about the geometric interpretation of this. How would such a plane be oriented such that the given conditions are true? It seems that you went through the correct procedure; can you picture it now?

@lineintegral1: Can you elaborate a bit more please? I'm sorry, but don't fully understand...

SMA_01 said:
@lineintegral1: Can you elaborate a bit more please? I'm sorry, but don't fully understand...

Sure. You are looking for a plane in which every point on the plane is the same distance from (-1, 3, -1) as they are from (-2, -3, 3). This will only happen if the plane is positioned such that it is between the two points and oriented perpendicular to the vector created between the two points. The final step asks you to calculate the plane with -1 as the x-coefficient. This simply tells you which point should be subtracted from the other to create the normal vector.

After reading this, see if you can draw it yourself.

I see where you're coming from, and will do thanks!

Related to Calc 3 planes- not really understanding the problem/solution?

What is Calc 3 and how does it relate to planes?

Calc 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves the study of objects in three-dimensional space, such as planes, and how they can be described and manipulated using calculus techniques.

What are the key concepts involved in solving problems involving planes in Calc 3?

Some key concepts involved in solving problems involving planes in Calc 3 include vectors, dot product, cross product, and equations of lines and planes. It is also important to understand how to convert between different forms of equations for planes, such as scalar form and vector form.

How do I graph a plane in Calc 3 and what information does it provide?

To graph a plane in Calc 3, you will need to plot at least three points that satisfy the equation of the plane. These points can be found by setting two variables to constant values and solving for the third variable. Graphing a plane can provide information about its orientation, intercepts, and intersection with other planes or objects.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems involving planes in Calc 3?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems involving planes in Calc 3 include incorrectly identifying the normal vector, forgetting to account for the direction of the normal vector, and making arithmetic errors when performing calculations involving vectors. It is also important to carefully read and interpret the given problem and to check your work for errors.

How can I improve my understanding and problem-solving skills for Calc 3 planes?

To improve your understanding and problem-solving skills for Calc 3 planes, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to seek help from your instructor or peers when needed. It can also be helpful to review and solidify your understanding of key concepts, such as vectors and equations of lines and planes, before attempting more challenging problems. Additionally, utilizing online resources and seeking out additional practice problems can also aid in improving your skills.