Calc Centripetal Acceleration: Rotational Motion & Vinyl Record Player

In summary: The circumference of the circle made by the point on the edge is .1778m. This circumference helps you because it tells you the distance around the edge of the record in meters.
nbroyle1
In the days before compact discs and MP3 players (ancient history!), music was recorded in scratches in the surface of vinyl-coated disks called records. In a typical record player, the record rotated with a period of 3.6 s. Find the centripetal acceleration of a point on the edge of the record. Assume a radius of 8.89 cm.

So I already converted the radius to meters and got .0889m.

Now I need to find the velocity in order to plug it into the equation for centripetal acceleration which is Ac=v^2/r...

How should I go about solving for the velocity so I can get the centripetal acceleration??

Physics news on Phys.org
nbroyle1 said:
In the days before compact discs and MP3 players (ancient history!), music was recorded in scratches in the surface of vinyl-coated disks called records. In a typical record player, the record rotated with a period of 3.6 s. Find the centripetal acceleration of a point on the edge of the record. Assume a radius of 8.89 cm.

So I already converted the radius to meters and got .0889m.

Now I need to find the velocity in order to plug it into the equation for centripetal acceleration which is Ac=v^2/r...

How should I go about solving for the velocity so I can get the centripetal acceleration??
What distance does that point on the edge travel in one second?

im not sure... So its traveling 2∏ in 3.6s right??

nbroyle1 said:
im not sure... So its traveling 2∏ in 3.6s right??

Yes.

Then, how far does the point on the edge travel in 3.6 seconds?

360 degrees. So then in one second I think it travels 100 degrees??

So I found that the acceleration is 1.745rad/s^2. Then I plugged it into the equation for average acceleration to find the velocity and got 6.28m/s... is this correct??

nbroyle1 said:
So I found that the acceleration is 1.745rad/s^2. Then I plugged it into the equation for average acceleration to find the velocity and got 6.28m/s... is this correct??
I don't think so.

What is the circumference of the circle made by the point on the edge?

.1778m is the circumfrance

how does the circumference help me I am confused??

Related to Calc Centripetal Acceleration: Rotational Motion & Vinyl Record Player

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's speed divided by the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration related to rotational motion?

Centripetal acceleration is a type of rotational motion, as it involves the rotation of an object around a fixed point. It is also related to the concept of angular acceleration, which is the rate of change of angular velocity.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

How does centripetal acceleration apply to a vinyl record player?

A vinyl record player uses centripetal acceleration to keep the record spinning at a constant speed. The record is placed on a turntable, which rotates at a constant speed, causing the record to also rotate at a constant speed. This creates the necessary centripetal acceleration to keep the record in its circular path.

What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a vinyl record player?

The centripetal acceleration of a vinyl record player is affected by the speed of the turntable, the radius of the record, and the friction between the record and the turntable. Increasing the speed of the turntable or decreasing the radius of the record will increase the centripetal acceleration, while increasing the friction will decrease it.