Calculate Angular Acceleration & Time of Toy Car w/Vo, Vf, R, & C

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the angular acceleration and the time taken to reach the final speed of a toy car that is accelerating at a constant rate around a circular track. The formula Wf2 = Wo2 + 2*alpha*(C*2*Pi) was used to solve for alpha, but the wrong answer was obtained. The speaker is seeking help to calculate the time without knowing the acceleration.
cobrasny
1. a) A X kg toy car accelerates at constant rate from Vo m/s to Vf m/s in C revolutions while going around a circular track of radius R cm. Find:

- α, the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the car.
- t, the time it took to reach the final speed

2. To calculate the angular acceleration, I tried velocity over radius, Vo/R and Vf/R to get delta W(omega); and then tried using the formula Wf2 = Wo2 + 2*alpha*(C*2*Pi), and solved for alpha, but got the wrong answer. I do not know how to get time without acceleration. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cobrasny,

cobrasny said:
1. a) A X kg toy car accelerates at constant rate from Vo m/s to Vf m/s in C revolutions while going around a circular track of radius R cm. Find:

- α, the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the car.
- t, the time it took to reach the final speed

2. To calculate the angular acceleration, I tried velocity over radius, Vo/R and Vf/R to get delta W(omega); and then tried using the formula Wf2 = Wo2 + 2*alpha*(C*2*Pi), and solved for alpha, but got the wrong answer.

What answer did you get?

First, let's define some variables to make the calculations easier. Let C represent the number of revolutions, R represent the radius in meters, Vo represent the initial velocity in meters per second, and Vf represent the final velocity in meters per second. We can also define the angular acceleration as α and the time as t.

To find the angular acceleration, we can use the formula α = (Vf - Vo)/R. Plugging in the given values, we get:

α = (Vf - Vo)/R
α = (Vf - Vo)/(R/100) (since R is given in cm, we need to convert it to meters by dividing by 100)
α = (Vf - Vo)/(0.01*R) (since R is given in meters, we can simplify the equation)

To find the time it took to reach the final speed, we can use the formula t = C*2*Pi*R/Vf. Plugging in the given values, we get:

t = C*2*Pi*R/Vf
t = C*2*Pi*(0.01*R)/Vf (since R is given in meters, we need to convert it to cm by multiplying by 100)
t = C*0.02*Pi*R/Vf (simplifying the equation)

So the final equations are:

α = (Vf - Vo)/(0.01*R)
t = C*0.02*Pi*R/Vf

By using these equations, you should be able to calculate the angular acceleration and time for the given scenario. Remember to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. I hope this helps.

Related to Calculate Angular Acceleration & Time of Toy Car w/Vo, Vf, R, & C

1. How do I calculate the angular acceleration of a toy car?

To calculate the angular acceleration of a toy car, you will need to know the initial velocity (Vo), final velocity (Vf), radius (R) and time (t) of the car. The formula for angular acceleration is: a = (Vf - Vo) / t * R. Simply plug in the values to get your answer in radians per second squared.

2. What is the unit of measurement for angular acceleration?

The unit of measurement for angular acceleration is radians per second squared. This unit represents the change in angular velocity over time.

3. How do I find the time it takes for a toy car to complete a circular track?

To find the time it takes for a toy car to complete a circular track, you will need to know the angular velocity, which can be calculated using the formula ω = 2π / t. Once you have the angular velocity, you can use it to calculate the time using the formula t = 2πR / V, where R is the radius of the circular track and V is the linear velocity of the car.

4. Can I use this formula for any shape of track?

No, this formula can only be used for circular tracks. For tracks with other shapes, you will need to use different formulas and methods to calculate the time and angular acceleration.

5. What is the significance of calculating angular acceleration for a toy car?

Calculating the angular acceleration of a toy car can help us understand the motion and forces acting on the car as it moves along a curved path. It can also be used to determine the stability and efficiency of the car's design, and can be helpful in making improvements or modifications to the car.